I Should Be Banned For This Crime

Wasn't Bill's fault, a spammer brought the thread back to life. Their post was before his. Now history.

Yes, thanks fellas. Sorry. The thread popped up by a spammer.. Someone from India recommending HomeStay. I reported it and then looked at the content of the thread without looking at the date and thought... Oh good grief. Not another Brisky fed to the pets.

As for the day drinking... no. I was perfectly sober and in fact wrote that about 9pm last night just before tucking in to bed. Haven't had a drink since that Lamb cook where a few extra strong Scotches poured by a neighbor lead me into the weeds.:tsk:

I left an awesome pot of chili out on the stove to cool before putting it in the fridge. You guessed it, left it out all night and had to toss it.

And here we go again... More misunderstanding.

You just made some chili. It was boiling on the stove right? The chili is therefore sterile and even in the infinitesimally small chance there is of having something like botulism spores in that chili, there is still not enough time overnight to overwhelm this pot of food and hurt you.

Not only that, you left the lid on right? So it's sterile inside AND there is no way anything can get in to contaminate it. There is no VECTOR. No TRANSMISSION. No chance of contamination. So it cools for a few hours overnight and you throw it away because you've been led to believe that this is going to be contaminated. I thought the concept of "spontaneous generation" went out the window a few hundred years ago. Just WHERE are the bacteria going to come from????

And someone will come along and say "When in doubt throw it out" and someone else will put up an FDA link to the flipping Danger Zone and the mass hysteria continues.

I'm asking you to THINK about how things can get contaminated and dangerous to eat, and that doesn't happen with chili left out overnight on a stove with the lid on.

In the winter I leave the lid on and put it outside to cool. A couple times Ive left it and it froze/slushie. Once I forgot and the lid was on the other side of the deck. That got tossed. Squirrel poo contamination was all I could think about.

Are you day drinking now? Maybe you should think about trying it!?

And this is the kind of response I expect. No I'm not drinking. The misunderstanding that so many of you have about food safety is so that you naturally think I am either drinking or nuts or both... but I can tell you, the rest of the world pays very little attention to the FDA and people don't get sick from eating perfectly good food that the FDA would tell you to throw out.

I'm trying to get some understanding of this across but it's a hell of a battle as very few of you are looking at things objectively or scientifically. Where's GORE when I need him!:cry:

And this is the kind of response I expect. No I'm not drinking. The misunderstanding that so many of you have about food safety is so that you naturally think I am either drinking or nuts or both... but I can tell you, the rest of the world pays very little attention to the FDA and people don't get sick from eating perfectly good food that the FDA would tell you to throw out.

I'm trying to get some understanding of this across but it's a hell of a battle as very few of you are looking at things objectively or scientifically. Where's GORE when I need him!:cry:

So.....drinking heavily then?? :icon_blush:

And this is the kind of response I expect. I am drinking heavily. The misunderstanding that so many of you have about food safety is so that you naturally think I am either drinking or nuts or both... but I can tell you, the rest of the world pays very little attention to the FDA and people do get sick from eating perfectly tainted food that the FDA would tell you to throw out.

There fixed that for you.:thumb::becky:

In all seriousness you are probably correct. The FDA simply is idiot proofing against food borne illness.
If you follow their guidelines you won't get sick. Guaranteed.
If you look at the science of it yeah you will be fine. It takes one dumb person misunderstanding science and bam they are sick and blaming the FDA. So yeah they make idiot proof regulations as there are idiots that would get sick because of a misunderstanding.

In all seriousness you are probably correct. The FDA simply is idiot proofing against food borne illness.
If you look at the science of it yeah you will be fine. It takes one dumb person misunderstanding science and bam they are sick and blaming the FDA. So yeah they make idiot proof regulations as there are idiots that would get sick because of a misunderstanding.

I suppose this is what I'm trying to say... but it's idiot proofed beyond all belief. And my issue is that I expect on a forum like this to find fellas who are fully intelligent enough to look through this and not chuck out their perfectly good chili... but i get accused of being a p!sshead instead...

OK, so sometimes that's a fair call... Just not here. Not on this topic.

I totally agree with you Aussie. Those FDA suggestions are just that...suggestions.
If it doesn't smell, I'm cooking it. I think the brisket woulda been fine, but the chili left out... once cooked I'm a bit more skeptical though...
How many times have you guys made chili or shredded chicken for Sunday football? It sat out for a couple hours during the game, right? According to the FDA, you should be dead

I agree there is so much over abundance of caution it is a hit silly. Common sense should also come in.

A whole cut of beef (not needle tenderized) has such small surface area very little opportunity for contamination.

Also, while cooking the meat, the surface will be exposed to the highest temps for long periods of time and will basically be sterilized in the pit.

Other thing about the chili, I assume anyone would reheat it before eating (boil again) and would thus kill off any bacteria that might have grown.

Uhhh, no.

What do you think our ancestors did before refrigeration? When you look at other parts of the world (generally third world), you see hanging meat in open-air markets that definitely spends more time "in the danger zone" at higher temperatures.

Properly cooking your meat is one way to kill off the potentially bad things that might start to take hold. Also, you are talking about 'solid' meat, not ground meat. A simple wash with an appropriate 'acid' or salt brine would be acceptable in many parts of the world. Having traveled overseas, I can honestly say I have some really tasty meals prepared in similar ways INTENTIONALLY.

I have cooked similar meat for just myself personally with no ill effects. Would I serve it to anyone else; absolutely not because I do not know their health history (cancer recovery, weak immune system from illness, etc.).

Solid muscle beef is not nearly the threat any 'ground meat' is. If you do not use SAFE food handling practices and cross-contaminate, all bets are off.

I personally have had Camphlobacter Jujuni, and no I did not get it from undercooked chicken or poor chicken handling practices. Mine came from the dairy room 'floor', most likely from one of the calves I fed each morning. So yes, I have personal experience with food poisoning, though not from actual food I consumed. This illness was devasting for a period of time but, I fully recovered with only a doctor's office visit and lots of electrolyte fluid (think Pedialite and similar). I have a healthy respect for safe food handling and cooking processes but, I am also not paranoid as I am a healthy fit adult male using reasonable food preparation practices for MYSELF in situations like this.

In terms of the 'financial hit' of losing a brisket, I can personally state I would have given a $100, earning money at minimum wage (at the time ~$4.35) to avoid getting Camphlobacter Jujuni again

It would have been fine. A brisket is a very large piece of meat. You went from Frozen to thawed ... room temperature only at 60F in a gentle time. Even several hours at that temp is not long enough to allow sufficient surface colonisation of bacteria. It's sad. I see so much meat wasted here because people don't understand this process.

Again, I state.. it's just not possible for something to grow enough bacteria and toxins in a few hours that's going to kill you, or at least give you the trots or a belly ache.

Now of course leaving ribs or chicken in a car for the weekend... yeah :sick:

But a brisky on the counter? Throwing that out is a waste... and fellas, please don't redirect me to various FDA articles. They are designed to tell you to throw out everything regardless. Gotta keep you safe you see... Can't leave anything up to interpretation or speculation, just in case someone is liberal about it and sues the government when their kids get sick because some chicken nuggets got left on the counter for 20 minutes too long.

ABSOLUTEY!

It is almost as bad as throwing things out because of the "best used by date". Food waste is a real problem in North America and large parts of the EU.

FDA regulations are pretty EXTREME because of people on immune-suppressive therapies (think organ transplants, various AIDS/HIV protocols, cancer, etc.) and, the elderly and infants with fragile health systems.

Paranoia about food safety, driven by scare tactics promoted on social media and other forms of communication, and harsh fears of litigation leads to massive food waste issues. If all this paranoia were implicitly true, would our ancestors have thrived?

No, I'm not considering eating the original brisket left out for ~2 years. :icon_sick

Left out overnight with a starting temperature of ~60F and properly handled, ABSOLUTELY.

Back