I Should Be Banned For This Crime

CT-Mike

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Asked my wife to pull a brisket out of the freezer to thaw yesterday. When I got home from work, we had some running around to do. We reminded each other that the brisket needed to go in to the fridge when we got home.

Yup, you guessed it, we both forgot and it stayed out overnight. Got up this morning and temped the brisket, 60 F.

:evil::evil::evil::evil:

While that’s never happened to me I’ve played that scenario in my head. What a fantastic day for earths scavengers. Don’t drop it in the dumpster, drop it in the country for the critters to have a buffet. All the deer roadkill between here and Santa Fe yesterday were feeding critters

That stinks.

Years ago I helped my brother in law cut up a deer.
He sent me home with a nice little care package.
My wife was away at work so I had the little one.
I get home, grab the little one and all his stuff, get in the house put his stuff on the floor and put him to bed.
The next morning I go through his stuff to put it away and yup you guessed it there was my care package of venison sitting on the floor. Major bummer.

Did the grade of beef matter? I bet you wouldn't have done that to a Creekstone :heh:

I had 5 lbs of polish sausage sit in a cooler in the garage for a week. One less cooler to worry about.

Did it a few months back with a chuck roast. Pulled it out and set it on top of the smoker got distracted and forgot to bring it inside the thaw in the fridge. Found it the next morning :-D

I left some elk steaks in the trunk of the car , didn't remember them till I opened the trunk a week later

I left a whole chicken in the wife’s trunk after grocery shopping one Saturday..she found it Monday morning before going to work. worst smell ever:shock:

Did the grade of beef matter? I bet you wouldn't have done that to a Creekstone :heh:

Was just a standard CAB brisket from RD. If it had been a Creekstone or SRF you would’ve seen a grown man cry. Still sucks though.

It would have been fine. A brisket is a very large piece of meat. You went from Frozen to thawed ... room temperature only at 60F in a gentle time. Even several hours at that temp is not long enough to allow sufficient surface colonisation of bacteria. It's sad. I see so much meat wasted here because people don't understand this process.

Again, I state.. it's just not possible for something to grow enough bacteria and toxins in a few hours that's going to kill you, or at least give you the trots or a belly ache.

Now of course leaving ribs or chicken in a car for the weekend... yeah :sick:

But a brisky on the counter? Throwing that out is a waste... and fellas, please don't redirect me to various FDA articles. They are designed to tell you to throw out everything regardless. Gotta keep you safe you see... Can't leave anything up to interpretation or speculation, just in case someone is liberal about it and sues the government when their kids get sick because some chicken nuggets got left on the counter for 20 minutes too long.

I left an awesome pot of chili out on the stove to cool before putting it in the fridge. You guessed it, left it out all night and had to toss it.

Back