Beef Love Basted Reverse-Seared Porterhouse.

Melissaredhead

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Keyport, NJ...via Soulard,MO via Missouri farmland
This is my reverse seared, beef-love basted porterhouse.
Meathead has a friend that coined the 'beef love' name. I took the scraps of fat I cut off (I'm reverse searing so I don't need as much to start) and slowly melted it in a skillet, gradually reducing the flame as the pieces gave up as much fat as they could. I was surprised how much a couple of scraps melted into!

While melting the fat, I salted the porterhouse and put back in the fridge to think about it. I let it dry brine for about 25 minutes and started my fire. Letting the beef love cool (so it doesn't warm the steak) I painted some of the beef love on both sides and let that set while tending the grill.

I used an espresso steak rub (ancho chiles, coffee beans, SPOG) and pat that in. I was about to put the steak on and the hubs decides he wants to go crabbing with his brother in law. I keep the fire going at 250 and give him 1 hour.

I m serving this with grilled peppers and onions. Sprinkled a little Sirachia salt, sweet onion sugar and fresh pepper.

An hour goes by still no hubs so I turn the veg down. I like my veg hot when I eat it.

Here's what the steak looks like at 110. I used a little pecan and cherry wood.

Waited for the steak to get to 90 before warming the beef love. When the porterhouse gets to 110 take it off and tented in foil. I crank up the coals and I baste with beef love and put a little sweet onion sugar on it to help with caramelization.

Constantly moving the steak to get a solid crust on both sides.

I roasted a bulb of garlic and squeezed and schmeared that on top.

Sliced the strip.

Sliced the filet.

Oh baby.

Hubs said to not change anything at all. It was the best steak I'd ever made and he couldn't say he's had better.

I credit the beef love.

Beef love will save the world.

Thanks for looking.

Last edited:
crazy... crazy... crazy!!! i almost don't believe what i am looking at! that has got to be one of the finest steaks i have ever seen!!!

Back