View Single Post
Old 12-05-2017, 04:17 PM   #78
txsmkmstr
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by el luchador View Post
my smoker at half intake vent open full exhaust will burn at 400 degrees when the wood catches and the fire is roaring.
I have nothing to offer than hasn't already been said about your decision. I also have no experience with your particular pit. I would like to make an observation based on your comment.

Your spikes in temperature indicate to me that some different fire management techniques might have been in order. I'm thinking along the lines of 1) smaller fire and 2) smaller wood. In addition, the "add a split every 40 minutes" is something that not all pits subscribe to. In fact, it can be more like every 20 minutes to calm the temp fluctuations while maintaining a good coal base. I only bring this point to the table for those considering a stick burner in their future. Learn to control temps with fire size and forget about the dampers. Then and only then can you start to dial things in (like more or less smoke flavor) with the damper settings. Three cooks on an offset is not much of a learning curve.

I'm glad you found a buyer for your pit - best of luck with your new set up.

Thanks from: --->