Smoking a turkey breast?

C

CenTech

Hi everybody,

Nobody in my family will eat dark meat, so I was thinking of smoking a turkey breast. I found some big frozen ones at Target, but the package said includes up to 15% flavor solution, includes ribs, wings, and neck skin.

Is there a better way to buy just a turkey breast? And has anyone ever done this? I just have a UDS with a flat lid so I couldn't do a whole bird if I wanted to. The breast was $0.99/lb, I'm just not sure of the quality or how well it would smoke.

$0.99 a lb???
I would be all over that, even heavily enhanced.
Only strange thing is that I have never seen a breast with the wings included, but just a bonus.

Most of us avoid enhanced poultry, but it really does cook up "ok".

Just put a bit of EVOO or butter on it along with some of your favorite rub.

Cook at any temp from 250 to 375 that you like till the IT hits 155-165 or so and let it rest for awhile.

We just finished one that was 15% and it was still great.

At that price, I would stock up, for sure!

Good Eats.

TIM

While I don't have the experience a lot of folks on this forum, turkey breast has become my "go to" meat, as it's easy and GREAT.
As far as the enhanced turkey breasts you refer to, don't brine them (now ya gotta search for turkey brine) in any salt water, they will be salty enough. Brining really helps, so buy the unenhanced if you can find them. I've smoked the enhanced kind (see what happens when she shops) without any brining, and they were good, not great.

Thanks. I'm gonna go back tomorrow and stock up. My first thought was that it was a great price, but I've never priced them before.

You can do a whole turkey in the UDS if you splatchcock the bird. Splatchcocking is basically just removing the backbone and flatting the bird. I done many in my flat topped UDS and my grill is 7" from the top.

Even if the breasts are enhanced you can do a small injection that does not contain any salt to add a bit of flavor. I like butter, white wine, honey, and fresh herbs.

You can also just do a nice rub on the outside of the breasts.

I would not brine a enhanced turkey.

I have done enhanced turkey breasts -- wrapped in bacon. It was awesome off the smoker, but didn't do well as leftovers.

Yeah, bacon messes up the whole "healthy" aspect of turkey breast. But it was good.

Personally, I have not found un-enhanced turkey in my grocery stores. Enhancing turkey allows the producers to sell consumers water at about 20 bucks a gallon. So, yeah, they are going to enhance every kind of meat they can, and turkey is easy to sell enhanced, since most people don't brine, and can't cook.

I hope a lot of brethren post ideas in this thread, because I too want to smoke up some righteous turkey breast, preferably starting with pure turkey -- and without the bacon.

CD

I've done enhanced turkey breasts with good results. It's kinda nice really because you don't need to brine them in advance.

I cook 1 or 2 a week. I'm trying to eat a little healthy and the family likes them too. I brine for 24 hours. I don't use alot of salt because I'm on a low sodium diet. I have cooked a few that were enhanced. I really couldn't tell any difference but I always brine. I put some poultry rub under the skin and smoke with mulberry wood for a few hours at 300 degrees until the meat is 170 degrees. Foil and let it sit for 20 minutes. Turns out awsome. Get smaller ones because some are a little high for migh UDS.

Go for it.I shoot em full of melted butta and apple juice with cajun seasoning mixed in and rubbed on.Go easy on the smoke wood.It will soak up the smoke like a sponge.Very easy to oversmoke.Good Luck!

I get a couple every time they go on sale for $1.19 or below. Just don't brine the enhanced ones. They come out great!

That's a great price. I'd certainly pick up a couple and give it a whirl. I've not done enhanced birds but agree would certainly cook enhanced.

I like to use Thirdeye's method as breast cooks real even and comes out easy to slice up. Here

Back