View Single Post
Old 12-08-2017, 10:28 PM   #151
el luchador
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : EL Luchador

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70monte View Post
You are correct. The Akorn is not ceramic, it is metal.
thanks for clarifying that

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElQueTraz View Post
I think Gravity Feeds produce some of the cleanest blue smoke there is. If you like light smoke flavor, these do the trick. IMO
thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Drop View Post
My understanding is that charcoal is almost 100% carbon, it's called char.

When wood burns with more oxygen present, it creates char, which continues to burn, and also volatile gases, which at certain temperatures impart different more or less desirable flavours to the meat that is exposed to it.

Those embers burning still have some volatile gases present to impart flavour to the meat, the burning char does impart flavour ss well, but far less, and less complex.

So charcoal is a purer form of carbon than embers from burning logs.
copy. this is something I definitely would like to try out to compare. I can see how there may be some additional flavor components in wood embers vs lump embers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonz50 View Post
Karau: "The key point is that wood is not a fuel, it is a fuel source. When wood is heated, it decomposes into two fuels: charcoal (a solid fuel that burns in a surface oxidation) and smoke (a gaseous fuel that either burns as flame or escapes the firebox unburned to re-condense in the cook box as creosote). I say again, smoke is a fuel. It contains about half of the total caloric content of wood. It burns as a flame with sufficient heat and oxygen present…."

https://amazingribs.com/model/smoker/karubecue-c-60-pit

pretty interesting tidbit about the nature of wood fuel
is he saying smoke is good , or smoke is not good? Im not sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barry w View Post
This post has been great to follow. I have not been persuaded to sell my stick burner. It is the process that I love to do, always has been for me. The process goes way back for me to when we would pull a pig off the feed floor and smoke it for friends. The food and the gathering were nice but the enjoyment really was the over night hanging out with the skeleton crew. Now that I am retired the long cooks come more often.

Im counting down the years till Im able to retire. only 30 or so more to go now :)
el luchador is offline   Reply With Quote