Brisket & Green Tomato Slaw Sandwich

Greendriver

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
This is hands down the best brisket sandwich I have ever had even if I did make it. The brisket was vacuum sealed and frozen within the last 60 days and reheated by placing in a pot of water and brought to a simmer, turn the eye off then covered and set for 20 min (easy huh). The slaw is oil and vinegar slaw which is becoming my favorite especially for hot dogs and bbq. Ah, but this slaw definitely comes with a unique characteristic. I like red bell pepper this type of slaw and I didn’t have any red or even green bell peppers, so I improvised. I added a large jalapeno which I usually do but I seeded it this time and then looking around in the fridge I spotted a smallish green tomato and decided to try it. I sliced it thin and sliced the slices into match stick size. I guess this might be GREEN TOMATO SLAW. Whatever you call it, I know it was dang good. Add a little sauce at the table and some Texas Pete and this sandwich becomes pretty good eats.

SDC10870.jpg

SDC10876.jpg

SDC10878.jpg

Last edited:
Good looking sandwich there, I would hit it. Twice. That green tomato slaw is an interesting idea too. Sort of sounds like chow chow.

Looks fantastic! Love the sound of that green tomato slaw too! Nice. :-D

That is a great looking sandwich there...the only thing better,, would have been batter frying that green tomato and putting that on it.. yum yum....

for some reason my left over hamburger isnt sitting so well now. That looks Marvelous!!!!

Dang..... those are some great looking sammies..... you've got me drooling for sure....

Mmm..... I think I'll have to give this one a try with next brisket.

That looks really good. My M-I-L use to make great Green Tomato Relish. Unfortuneately I have no idea what the recipe was

Here is a recipe I hear is good, I am gonna try it this year if I get enough un-ripes.

Green Tomato Chow Chow
Ingredients:
4 quarts green tomatoes
1 large head of cabbage
10 medium onions
5 medium green peppers
7 medium sweet red peppers
1/2 cup salt
15 cups vinegar
5 cups sugar
3 tablespoons dry mustard
2 teaspoons powdered ginger
1 tablespoon turmeric
4 tablespoons mustard seeds
3 tablespoons celery seed
2 tablespoons pickling spice

Preparation:
Chop all vegetables; combine in a large kettle. Stir in salt; let stand at room temperature overnight, or at least 8 hours. Drain.
Combine vinegar, sugar, dry mustard, ginger, and turmeric in a large kettle. Put mustard seed, celery seed, and pickling spices in a 6-inch square of cheesecloth or cheesecloth bag. Tie ends or gather and tie string and add to the kettle. Bring the liquid to a boil and simmer for 30 minutes. Add vegetables and return to simmer for 30 minutes longer. Discard spice bag. Spoon chow-chow into hot sterilized jars and seal.
Process for 15 minutes in a boiling-water canner, or 20 minutes for altitiudes of 1001 to 6,000 feet. Over 6,000 feet, process for 25 minutes.

Much better then the ham and cheese I just had for dinner.

Back