Oakridge Crucible

OklaDustDevil

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Made some wings last night for my 16-year old son and me for the Dallas Cowboys game. Wings came out great, the game not so much. . . .

Tried some Oakridge Crucible, their new limited edition ghost pepper rub, which I ordered on Jan 2. Sprinkled half the wings with Jah Love and half with Crucible. We have pretty good heat tolerance so I sprinkled them well. After cooking, we ate some as is and tossed some with Frank’s original (my son insists on sauce). All were fantastic!

The Jah Love wings had great flavour with and without Franks. The Crucible wings’ flavour was less strong, but still very good with Franks and without, and with great heat that built over time. Both my son and I had to pause for awhile and drink some water, but then we both teed them up again, which tells me the heat level was perfect! Mind you, the Crucible wings had no other rub. I’m now a huge fan of this Crucible!!

For cooking style, although we usually grill our wings, we tried something new and baked them in the oven, for two reasons. First, I couldn’t cook before the game and didnt want to be running out to to the grill and missing game time. Second, we were trying to replicate the baked wings of a local sports bar, which take an hour after you order them but are utterly fantastic. I baked them on a wire rack over a cookie sheet for 45 min at 300F, then cranked up the broiler on high for another 5 min or so per side.

This worked great: the wings were charred and blackened on the outside, very juicy on the inside. And healthier than deep fried wings. Although I missed the grilled flavour, the baking enabled us to really taste the pure rubs and sauce, and the wings definitely were more moist.

In any event, I bought 2 packs of Crucible and for those who like spice, I suggest you buy before it runs out!!!

Sounds like a great way to do wings in the oven if I can’t get to the smoker. Did it smoke much under the broiler? Have to be ready to pull the batteries out of the smoke detector!

I got to buy some since it is back in stock and posted where the last two was a couple months ago and a buddy bought them , lol . I just want to use as a light dusting on meats and sounds from your review just what I am looking for from some heat .

I dusted some fajita meat with their chile lime and HDD tonight. That had me sweating a little bit. Don't know if I could handle the crucible, but I might have to give it a shot.

I find that the Crucible has a much better flavor than HDD. Hotter? Yes, use judiciously, but so much tastier.

I broil mine in the oven using a broiler pan to let the grease drain. About an hour and I flip them halfway thru! Not as good as on the Weber vortex style but good anyway.

I bought a few bags of Crucible when it first came out. It is fantastic. Lately I have been sprinkling it on pork rinds. It’s so good.

I find that the Crucible has a much better flavor than HDD. Hotter? Yes, use judiciously, but so much tastier.

Interesting, I feel just the opposite. I think death dust is a better rub. :biggrin1:

Back