Advice for prime rib rub

Mrshaunyd

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Wife requested prime rib for the holidays looking for a good rub.

I can't remember ever having a prime rib with a seasoning I didn't like, there were just some I liked a little better that others. And in addition to dry rubs.... if you include the various slathers (a wet seasoned paste) this will expand your choices even more.

Salt and pepper are likely the most popular foundation to build upon, but they are fine on their own. Garlic and rosemary are popular additions, in fact various herbs can add a different signature based on your tastes. A very popular seasoning is a "Canadian" or "Montreal" style, which has a number of things going for it. They are available commercially, but here is a recipe to give you an idea. And of course any ingredient (or amount) can be altered to your tastes.

Montreal Steak Rub – A coarse rub based on the "pickling rub" used to make Montreal smoked meat, which was made famous by Schwartz's deli. It is also called Canadian rub. This rub is suited for beef, but also good on pork, chicken and roasted potatoes.

Ingredients:
3T coriander seeds
3T black peppercorns
4T dried bell pepper (mix green & red bell pepper)
2T onion flakes
2T garlic flakes
2T sea salt
1T caraway seeds
2T dill seeds
1T dried thyme
1t dried lemon peel

Combine all ingredients and grind in a coffee grinder.

Yup, great seasoning, I buy a bunch of containers from Schwartz' when I go home to Montreal, to last me the year.

It's the ultimate steak spice of you want more than salt and pepper and maybe some garlic and/or onion.

If you make your own be careful not to grind too finely! You don't need to use a ton either, a light even covering works great.

With prime rib maybe more than any other cut of beef you want the meat flavor to speak for itself.

That said, salt, pepper, garlic are staples of beef flavoring IMHO.

If you want to add a little more to the crust itself look-up making a herb compound butter.

But I agree with the sentiment that unless you go totally crazy there aren't many rubs that wouldn't taste good on a prime rib.

I've used Meathead's Mrs. O'Leary's Cow Crust before with good results. Also used Pepperered Cow, Montreal Steak & Oakridge Carne Crosta. All came out delicious. Hard to mess up, as long as you don't go too crazy. This year probably going to try either 407BBQ Rub or Q-Salt.

Herbs de Provence could/should be incorporated, if you want a touch of traditional flavor. It's a readily available and affordable blend of herbs.

I do this on the Prime rib for Christmas.
Mashed garlic, salt, fresh crack black pepper and chopped up fresh Rosemary, Muddle it all together into a paste and smear all over the prime rib. I apply this the day before to the prime rib.

Wife requested prime rib for the holidays looking for a good rub.

I hit it with course Kosher salt first, then heavy McCormick Montreal Steak Seasoning all over. I like theirs because they have large particulate that really stands out on the finished product.

I honestly haven't seen a recommendation here that I wouldn't recommend. The only thing I can add is to put it on thick, or re-season during the cook to build the crust.

I honestly haven't seen a recommendation here that I wouldn't recommend. The only thing I can add is to put it on thick, or re-season during the cook to build the crust.

Agreed. I like a healthy dose of rub on prime rib and taking that first bite of the spinalis.

Back