Alabama White Sauce

PigskinBarbeque

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Alabama White Sauce is an original creation from Robert Gibson of Big Bob Gibson's BBQ out of Decatur, AL.
This sauce was made for chicken but people are also using it on pulled pork.

I made this sauce because a I was asked to take a shot at making it. I had to test a few versions out and tweak it to my liking.
This is my version of the sauce but it has the main parts to the sauce in it.

Alabama White Sauce
makes 4 cups
2 Cups Mayo
2 Tbsp Horseradish
3/4 cup Distilled White Vinegar
3/4 Cup Apple Cider Vinegar
2 Tsp Black Pepper
1.5 Tbsp Lemon Juice
2 Tsp Kosher Salt
2 Tsp Cayenne Pepper
1 Tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
2 Tbsp Sugar
1 Tbsp Garlic Powder

Whisk to mix well. Place in fridge for 2 hours so the flavors blend.
Brush on smoked chicken the last 30 minutes of cooking or use as a dipping sauce.

Recipe Video:
[ame="https://youtu.be/rwK4UWds75I"]https://youtu.be/rwK4UWds75I[/ame]

My wife can't eat smoked turkey without that stuff. We have a local BBQ place up here called Sugarfire that makes a really nice version of it. Their smoked turkey is also some of the best I've ever eaten.

I had a homemade version of this on some grilled
Chicken the other day, and it's really quite good. I was pleasantly surprised.

I bought a bottle of Alabama White Sauce mail order just to try it. I have been buying and trying a number of non-tomato, non-midwest flavor sauces just to try them.

Truthfully, the Alabama White Sauce tasted like salad dressing to me; I have actually not been moved to try it on any food at all. Based on this thread, I guess I'll dig it out of the fridge and test it a little more. Smoked turkey for Thanksgiving. I'll try it then.

Can't get past the mental block of it being white.... Guess it's my loss.

I was the same way and the very first time I used White Sauce I turned my nose up at it, then I found out I used too much and started tinkering with my own version and keeping my rub simple on my chicken when I was using this sauce and it grew on my.

Matter of fact I had all my family and friend looking at me crazy when I first served this to them last week. Now they have all asked me to make them a batch....funny how that worked.

Made some over the weekend and it was good. Took some getting used to like you said since it was my first time making it and tasting it. It definitely grows on you and i will make it again.

Back