Spatchcocked rotisseried yardbird

Damn-it!! This site just cost me another $25.

That bird looked sooo good I couldn't resist ordering one of those baskets.

You could probably thread the spatchcocked bird onto the spit rod, then secure it with the forks and it would probably be stable...my thought was that the basket lid would keep the skin pressed tightly against the meat and help prevent splitting or pullback, and keep the shape flat and uniform...which it seemed to do a good job of.

so what temp do you think that was cooking at and how long?

I have a rotisserie that i was thinking of retrofitting onto my Masterbuilt 1050.

my thought process was maybe to smoke for 30 minutes or so and then turn the heat up with it on the rotisserie.

was also thinking of putting a rib roast on the rotisserie.

I dont have a thermometer on that grill but I'm guessing it was over 400* and it took about an hour to cook...about 170* in the breast and 190*+ in the thigh.

I wouldn't bother trying to "smoke" with a rotisserie, you need high radiant/indirect heat for them to work their magic. I always add a chunk or two of wood to the charcoal for a hint of smoke, but I don't change the cook temp when doing so.

Now that's how it's done. Awesome!!

I've done wings, legs and thighs in my roti basket which turn out incredible but never a whole bird. Won't be long.:mrgreen:

Thanks for the post.

1s37ky.jpg

Back