It's a sad day--We've Lost A Brother

:cry:
Thanks for the call this morning, Phil. I wouldn't have wanted to come across this sad event cold.

I never met my brother, KC, and now I never will. It's a sad day now, and my heart will hiccup each time in the future when I realize I won't be seeing another of his replies to a post.

He was a great brother and always will be and, although I'll be tied to the city for the next week and probably won't be able to make the funeral, you can count on me to chip in whatever it takes to make his passing a memorable event.

<cry>

Arlin

I won't be able to make it to KC for the services, either. I've been slow all summer but the next week and a half are nuts with some big customer meetings.

I'll hit Paypal in a bit, also.

Update:

Brother Scott's body has been released from the coroner's office to the direction of Runyon Funeral Home, Drexel MO. It will be an additional 3 days before the known cause of death will be released.

There will not be a viewing of the body as the family has chosen cremation. Visitation will be Friday morning at 10:00AM, with the service following at 11:00AM. Burial will follow the service. Donations are suggested to the Wolfner Library for the Blind, under the direction of the funeral home.
You may contact the funeral home here:

Wilson and Son Funeral Home AKA Runyan Funeral Home
(816) 657-4400
136 E Main St
Drexel, MO 64742

Sympathy cards and pictures of Scott that you would like to be shared at the service may be sent to:

Jeanne Sidebottom
714 Ann Ave.
Harrisonville MO 64701

Scott was an avid KC Chiefs fan, as well as a BBQer. I requested to Jeanne that she send him out in his Chief's jersey and his Brethren hat....she agreed that would be most fitting.....

To Phil:....on your webpage memorial to KC....he passed away Sunday afternoon, Sept 3rd

----------------

I went out to the Bellys to break the news...we're working on the comp trailer, getting it ready for this weekend, which just doesn't seem important anymore, but I have to do it as it is my home company that is putting on the event....

I fired up a 1/2 chimney of Kingsford, threw in 2 cherry chunks, got each of the brothers and myself a beer, and broke the news....we toasted his life, thanked him for his friendship, and agreed that a KC Chiefs decal will be added to the trailer as a remembrance of Scott, he'll always be with us where ever we go to compete.

This will be one tough week for all of us......

Jeff in KC or possibly BigDog would be a better contact person for motel info and info on KCI than myself...I'm over a hundred miles away from Kansas City. I have spoken with Jeff and he will be available to help anyway he can before Friday as he has the Blues Springs Blaze Off this weekend as well.

Last edited:
Thank you Mr. Kick. I can't thank you enough for what you've done. That call is one you never want to get.

For those planning to make it, Friday works for me. I'll book my flight later, but I plan to arrive Thursday night and will get a car. I have obligations that I need to attend to on Saturday so I will be heading back to the airport to catch a flight out on Friday afternoon. Call your seat now.

My condolences to all my brethren out there. Bill called me this afternoon while I was out on Lake Michigan fishing with the sad news. I always enjoyed reading KC's posts and had a great time talking with him at last years fall bash. He will be sorely missed by all who knew him.

Jeff in KC or possibly BigDog would be a better contact person for motel info and info on KCI than myself...I'm over a hundred miles away from Kansas City. I have spoken with Jeff and he will be available to help anyway he can before Friday as he has the Blues Springs Blaze Off this weekend as well.
I live in Wichita, some 180 miles from KC. You must of thought that I was closer. I have been to Scott's house. It is in MO (he was a MOFO), some 50 miles of so south of KC. So I can help some, but not too much. Jeff lives much closer, just up the road from Scott about 20 miles. Sure hope that I can make the service. As a teacher, I don't get to miss many days, but I do have a great boss. Thanks for all the updates Gary. He always spoke very kindly of you and I look forward to meeting you.

I'm at a loss... I did not know KC all that long but the one thing I could tell is that he had passion for whatever info or thoughts he shared with the group....

He will be greatly missed...

See you on the other side Scott.

Last edited:
How old was he? He looked mid 40's? Gosh, thats scary.

I never met him but I really enjoyed reading his posts too. Thoughts and prayers to his family tonight.

I was able to spend time with Scott at the Royal, we talked on the phone and e-mailed, he loved BBQ and this Forum.

God bless his family, know he will be missed.

Jim

He was 41.

here is the beginning of a memorial page.

bear with us, formaatting may be off.. It is a work in progress and will be cleaned up and done properly, but it contains some details and eulogies.. eventually to be put up in a permanent place on our site.

If anyone would like something added to his memorial page, a few words, a paragraph, etc.. please PM it to me.

I'll have words for the eulogy page at some point.

Scott and I were close, but so were alot of you.

I was glad I got a hold of Neil, Mista, Noah, and Dog, and thanks to Phil, Jorge and Greg for calling me.

I tried to get a hold of JT, and Trout, but that was not message for a machine. Did leave a quick one for Chad though, for I know he met him at Phils.

Like I posted in the Labor Day thread, it was pouring all morning, and pouring now. Someone up there gave me 5 hours to smoke on the kettle and reflect.

Thanks Scott.

And Neil V, you just have a way of talking about life that makes one feel good to talk to. Thanks.

My travel plans will not be known for about 48 hours though. Kinda wish they were not going with the cremation, as I would have planned to bring 4 turtles for inside his casket, one for each corner.

I know he would have laughed, and felt safe.

This is a little thing, but it would have made Scott happy...

When he heard that I had sent Lou Malnati's pizza to the bash at Phil's, he told me that he was jealous. I should have sent him some pizza that day, but I didn't. We altered our dinner plans for tonight and we'll have turkey breast tomorrow. Tonight was Lou Malnati's pizza, and this piece is for Scott.

IMG_1388.jpg

Nice touch Ron

I am kicking myself for a few things.

1, I can't believe your not in my cell phone directory, but more importantly,
2, Scott and I were always talking about low sodium tips. I was constantly telling him he didnt need to sacrafice flavor. He kept getting dissapointing results. I was going to send him a low/no salt care package, but never got around to it.

Now, I'm kicking myself.

I just wanted to say that this man and I had a few very short conversations, and that he was one of the most generous and caring individuals that I have ever had the pleasure to know. It breaks my heart that I never had the chance to meet him in person, and that he will be in my prayers often. God bless him for who he was, and that I hope that his spirit will live on through our fellowship and generosity.

I didn't know him well yet, but I'm just at a loss. I liked his sense of humor, and just wish I'd had a chance to meet him in person.

My prayers go out to his family.

Also,
Thanks to Bill and others for letting me know about this tragedy in person, and Ron, that was a really classy post.

I am in shock. I didn't know Scott for very long but it just doesn't seem right that someone like Scott should only enjoy this earth for 41 years. I can not travel this week but if there is anthing you need, money etc. please let me know.Scott will be in my prayers. I know God has a special place for him.

Back