source for sauce/rub

markbet

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Is there a better way of buying items such as BBQ sauce and rub? I purchased a bottle of Blues Hog sauce (1 pint) it cost me $10.00 delivered. I also bought Southern Flavor rub, (15oz) that also cost $10.00.
Each one was purchased from the maker. Is there a better and cheaper source that I could be let in on? Maybe that is not a bad price, but to me it seems really high.

How far do you live from Kansas City? You can buy Blues Hog locally there for about 4.00 a bottle. I'm sure E will drop in on this and may be able to tell you where he got his. As far as the Southern flavor, I don't know of any local places to buy.

Anyway, my point is, make a road trip, take the wife out to dinner, and buy some supplies! ;)

That may not be a bad idea, spend the day at Worlds Of Fun. KC is about a three hour drive from Wichita.

I paid $7.00 for a quart of Blues Hog at Smoke 'n' Fire

http://www.smokenfire.com/

They have a good selection of rubs and sauces. Not a huge selection but a very good selection of stuff not readily available at grocery stores. They also carry a full line of 12" pre split smoking woods. $25 for a 2 cu ft bag is a bit pricey but is a good way to try woods until you find you favorite or favorites and can seek volume discounts on the ones you like.

IMO buying rubs is a waste of time and money. I have yet to try one I thought was good enough to stand on its own with adding stuff to it. If you gotta add stuff anyway why not make it right to start with, and the price is not even close. I can make a quart of rub for the price of two small bottles.

Thanks KC...I will check out the website that you gave me.

Ditto KC..... I have a cabinet full of comercial rubs i dont use. Open it, try it, never go back. Blues hog is the only one that I have actually finished a bottle of.. its alot more fun experimenting with making your own.. start with a base rub.. get one from the 100 rubs file in our files section. Stick with a base for a while and add and tweak it as you like.. if your not heading where ya want, try a different base. I dont even make up batches of rub anymore. I mix righ out of the shakers and onto the meat.

I've mentioned it before but I will again. Try to find a Watkins spice dealer in your area. Their spices are of excellent quality and very affordable. The off the top of my head example is hickory salt. Little 5.25oz bottle at grocery store is $2.85, at my Watkins dealer it is $4.00 per pound. They carry three grinds of black pepper and maybe some stuff you hadn't thought of trying. They sell from bulk containers so you can buy as much or as little as you like.

Okay......I was off track again. What I was calling a rub was Southern Flavor. I went to the website to do some more homework, and it is a charbroiling seasoning. I quess there is a difference. Anyway I bought some of it, and this weekend I am going to fix spare ribs and try my hand at pulled pork, using the receipe from the file section on this site, plus some more of that chicken that you gave out the receipe on. That was some very good chicken.

Southern flavor is more like a mild seasoning salt.. Dont use it like a rub, it will be very salty. Use it more like a salt, like Lawrys or tony C's.

Southern Flavor is great to use to perk up some of those bland rubs that you buy. Just don't use too much.

I like SF pretty heavy on steak, but otherwise it sucks... ooh, and on eggs... forgot, also on bacon. one more, damn, the list is still going.

markbet said:
Is there a better way of buying items such as BBQ sauce and rub? I purchased a bottle of Blues Hog sauce (1 pint) it cost me $10.00 delivered. I also bought Southern Flavor rub, (15oz) that also cost $10.00.
Each one was purchased from the maker. Is there a better and cheaper source that I could be let in on? Maybe that is not a bad price, but to me it seems really high.

The more you buy, the better the price.

1 can: 9.99 including shipping (Mike Pays 8.40 in the store for the 15oz can right in Selma, so not a bad price with shipping)

Buy 2 get one free, no shipping. 19.95, will come to like $24 w/shipping. With this, you mix and match. Get one Red, One Cajun, and one Garlic.

It keeps going up to where a case is 4.95 a can. 5.50 with shipping.

So we've covered rubs pretty well now, but what about sauces?

In the interest of time and money, what I usually do is buy gallon jugs of generic BBQ sauce at the super market then doctor it up. Try to clone what you like most about premium sauces. Finely chop some garlic, jalapenos and onions for example. I like to add some of my smoke-dried pepper powder. Experiment, Have fun and eat well. But don't spend a shitload of cash doing it. As far as liquid smoke is concerned, I only use it for aftershave.

Back