Looking for 26" Cooking Grates for Big UDS

what company did you get your 85g from in Utah?

I got it from these guys:

Wasatch Supply & Barrel, Inc.
2070 South 4250 West
Salt Lake City, UT
(801) 363-1933

Wasatch seems to have the best prices I have found locally for NEW UNLINED 85's ($100)

Quality Container (801) 977-0770 has the best prices I have found on NEW UNLINED 55's ($56.84).

If you want used or reconditioned 55's, I'd go with MBC Inc, (801) 282-4050. They have used unlined for $24.04 and reconditioned unlined for $35.17. Ask for Mark or Tammy.

After going through 5 or 6 barrel burns to remove the epoxy lining, I decided I had enough and I'm going unlined from now on. It's worth it to me to spend a little more money and save a lot of time and effort.

So, for everyone's info, the 85 gallon drum that I got measures just under 26 inches diameter inside (25 15/16 I'd say) and 38 inches inside height.

So, can I stuff 3 grates in there? I'm thinking 2 is all I can do with 38 inches, but that's still cool since I'm maintaining the flat-top true UDS look. Although maybe my basket doesn't need to be as tall as usual and maybe I can stuff 3 in (I've been making my baskets 10 inches tall) since it will be 18" diameter basket, which is wider than the standard 13.5".

Hmmm... What say ye?

My guess is that 3/4" inch gaps along the edge of the grate in an 85 gallon drum looks pretty natural. :p

Really? Make sure your bolts are long enough. Not all drums are created equal.

IMG_0373.jpg

IMG_0382.jpg

IMG_0512.jpg

The Weber grate is 24 3/4" across.

Just sayin'

I have 5" grate clearance, the same as the BDS 2739-2
http://bigdrumsmokers.com/smokers.htm

Really? Make sure your bolts are long enough. Not all drums are created equal.

The Weber grate is 24 3/4" across.

Just sayin'

I have 5" grate clearance, the same as the BDS 2739-2
http://bigdrumsmokers.com/smokers.htm

Err, yours looks like it was made for it. What's your point? I was trying to point out that 2" on a diameter is only 1" on each side of a radius. Not a life threatening issue considering most people don't lean their food up against the wall of the drum anyway.

But thanks for posting more pictures: those always help. :-D

Err, yours looks like it was made for it. What's your point? I was trying to point out that 2" on a diameter is only 1" on each side of a radius. Not a life threatening issue considering most people don't lean their food up against the wall of the drum anyway.

But thanks for posting more pictures: those always help. :-D

Just making some minor points, as I think people are looking for 26" grates to fit inside a drum and Weber has 2 sizes for the 26" kettle, the OTG stainless grates are a little larger than the old style chrome plated replacements.

Hog-Que Holic bought some 24" grates from some outfit and he didn't like the fit in his 96 gallon BDS 2743 Jumbo clones-so he sent them back and got the Webers. I liked the fit and after cooking on his drums I went out the next day and bought an 85 gallon myself and never looked back.

Now if the 24" grates work fine for Bigmista-I ain't knockin' them! I consider Neil one of my drum smoker mentors, so go on ahead and save a few $$ and buy those, I'm sure everyone will be satisfied.

I got it from these guys:

Wasatch Supply & Barrel, Inc.
2070 South 4250 West
Salt Lake City, UT
(801) 363-1933

Wasatch seems to have the best prices I have found locally for NEW UNLINED 85's ($100)

Quality Container (801) 977-0770 has the best prices I have found on NEW UNLINED 55's ($56.84).

If you want used or reconditioned 55's, I'd go with MBC Inc, (801) 282-4050. They have used unlined for $24.04 and reconditioned unlined for $35.17. Ask for Mark or Tammy.

After going through 5 or 6 barrel burns to remove the epoxy lining, I decided I had enough and I'm going unlined from now on. It's worth it to me to spend a little more money and save a lot of time and effort.

Thanks Wingnut.. ill check these out. do you know if they sell 95 gallon drums?

Thanks Wingnut.. ill check these out. do you know if they sell 95 gallon drums?

You're welcome. Nope they don't stock bigger than 85's. They said they could get them but they'd be almost double the cost to go from an 85 to a 96. Maybe there's another place to get one of those. Grainger is a possibility, but they're barrels are pricey IMO.

I just have to ask what would be the downside of trying to make a grate out of expanded steel? I mean for the price of those grates it seems to me to be way cheaper especially when I use it for the firebox already so I am just needing to buy a little more.

Go big!

Grainger has brand new Salvage Overpack drums.

110 gallon 30"ID x 42" H for $345.75! Cheaper than a BDS!

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg/catalogPDF.shtml

Yeah it's cheaper than a BDS, but when someone owns a business they gotta make profit, or what's the point of being in business? Props for those people though that put their hard work and sweat in making a UDS over the weekend.

I just have to ask what would be the downside of trying to make a grate out of expanded steel? I mean for the price of those grates it seems to me to be way cheaper especially when I use it for the firebox already so I am just needing to buy a little more.

You could do that, but it would leave a jagged razor edge on the perimeter, and then you'd have to weld either some flat bar or some pencil rod to wrap around it, and that's a pain.

Depending on the costs, it might be worth it to go with one of the pre-made solutions, just like spending extra to get an unlined new barrel. I'll have to figure up the costs and time and decide on that I guess.

Yeah it's cheaper than a BDS, but when someone owns a business they gotta make profit, or what's the point of being in business? Props for those people though that put their hard work and sweat in making a UDS over the weekend.

True, they don't make themselves. Just pointing out a source. Rocky has to get his somewhere, right? Grainger is everywhere, and a couple of posters inquired about overpack drums which are harder to find for some people.
I take pride in the fact that I built my own and enjoy the rewards of the fruits of my labor.

Rome 26" Grills

I just purchased 2 26" Rome Grills, based on Bigmista's recommendation. I was skeptical that they would be quite a light-weight build due to the low price. I'm pleased to announce that they are built with at least as heavy grade wire as my 22.5" Weber grills, but without the handles. At $38 for 2 as opposed to $41 each for the Weber 26 inchers, I can live without the handles.

These are well built, no frills, chrome plated heavy duty grills. Give them a try for your XL BDS.

Now, if only someone can find a less expensive source of 85 gallon barrels.

Sterling Skouson

Thanks for the heads up on this. Went and ordered 2 yesterday from the link for $35 and someodd cents. Shipping was free.

Got all my other parts together for my 85 gallon. It'll be my first attempt at an UDS so y'all wish me luck. Once it's built it'll be my first attempt @ ever smoking ANYTHING...so more luck needed there! :-?

Tips for a first-timer (other than the multitude of hints I've read through on the 120 pages of the UDS thread! Whew. 2 days but finally got through it)

Heavy Duty Grate for 85 gal. UDS

I ordered two different grates for my 85 gal. UDS just to compare. Here is what I found.

The 1st is the Rome 24.5" Camp Ring Grill Grate from Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Romes-123-Grill-Chrome-Plated/dp/B001ASH9O6
it is priced at $17.79 with free shipping. This is a nice grate and the least expensive, but not as heavy as the Grillmark below.

The 2nd is the Grillmark 26" (actual size just under 25") Chrome Cooking Grid which sells for $20.99 (plus shipping) at Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Grillmark-Chrome-Cooking-Grate-26/dp/B003DKG04E or you can order it at Ace Hardware for $21.99 and they ship free to a store near you http://www.acehardwaresuperstore.com/grillmark-chrome-cooking-grid-26-p-102685.html?ref=42. This grate is heavy duty, has handles and is a little larger for a better fit. Well worth the extra few dollars IMHO.

See comparison chart after last image below.

Attachments

• P1000216.jpg
    P1000216.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 122
  • P1000217.jpg
    P1000217.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 123
  • P1000204.jpg
    P1000204.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 124
  • P1000203.jpg
    P1000203.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 121
  • P1000202.jpg
    P1000202.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 120
  • P1000201.jpg
    P1000201.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 119
  • P1000205.jpg
    P1000205.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 120
  • P1000213.jpg
    P1000213.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 120
  • P1000214.jpg
    P1000214.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 119
  • P1000215.jpg
    P1000215.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 120
  • Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 127
Last edited by a moderator:
you know I've been waiting for someone to pull the trigger on a 26" grate for me to make my first! Any Rancher owners out there? :clap2:

I love me some BIG webers!

Back