2006 Memorial Day Mini Bash at Greg's

Ron_L

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Bill (Willkat98), Bob (MrB1984), Bob's Son, Jason, and me spent the day at Greg's place for Memorial Day weekend Mini-bash, Part Deux today.

We had a blast, as you might expect. We cooked some burgers (cheddar-bacon and jalapeno-Monterrey Jack), some Brats from a local meat market, a special stuffed fatty (see below) and some of Greg's jerky. After we ate too much, we went for a cruise on Greg's boat. I had a chance to do a little fishing and caught a nice largemouth bass (about 18").

We also saw the new trailer-based pit that Bob built over the winter for competitions. He did a great job! the pit looks fantastic. The cook chamber is 72" long and 31" diameter and is made of a single sheet of 1/4 inch steel that was rolled into a tube. The firebox is made of 1/2 inch plate steel and is about 24" x 24" x 24". We (OK, Greg and Bob) coated the inside of the pit with peanut oil and then we started the first burn to season it. It took about 45 minutes for the pit to come up to temp and stabilize. Form there, we took the temps close to 400 degrees and back down and repeated this a couple of times.

Now, back to the stuffed fatty. This is a special version of my Fatty Ronello from a while back. I took a link of fresh chorizo and removed the skin. then I cut a slit in it with a knife and shoved in a 1/2 inch square by 6 inch long chunk of Habanero Jack cheese and closed the chorizo back up. Then I took a regular fatty and cut a slot in it and stuck in a couple of slices of poblano pepper, then the chorizo, and then more poblano and sealed it back up. We cooked it for about three hours and sliced it...

IMAGE_00029.jpg

It was pretty danged good!

All of the pictures from today are online here. The pics were taken with my camera phone, so the quality sin't great, but they came out pretty well.

Wait now, let me add,,,

Of all the stuffed fatties, fatty peppers, and other fatty incarnations, THIS, combination of flavors was dead on the best I ever had. The uncased chirizo was the Perfect amount, this poblano used was of the exact heat needed, and the Purnell's base fatty (medium, I think) and the cheese was PERFECT!!!

Ron, if you got exact measurements of what you used, write them down. Enter this farker in a "side dish" and you gots a winner (in my book).

Great time for sure. Still need to go look at the other photos

I hope he found a new song... :shock:

I will document my Fatty Ronello and add it to the recipe section. Thanks for the nice words!

Bitchin' smoke ring on that stuffed fatty as well as some excellent looking toppings.
Great to see Bob's pit turned out so well, Greg pass on congrats to Bob on a job well done.

Ya farkers went fishin', that ain't fair!!

Here's a link to the Fatty Ronello recipe!

To be correct, KC, I went fishing, everyone else watched. :-D I caught the bass on the fourth or fifth cast!

1/8 oz chartreuse jig head with a 3" Producto Spring Grub in Pumpkin seed/Chartreuse. My standard river combo for smallies. It was about all I had with me!

You mean you couldn't convince Cliff Claven to make some of those awesome beans?

Cliff Claven. HA! That's funny!

Hey Mista, we had some hot sauce that I picked up in Grand Caymen that reminded us of you. It is a big rum manufacturer from thare that has a line of excllent hot sauces as well.My favorite is the garlick' caymenyerro.

Here's the link

http://bigblackdickrum.com/

Can't forget the pistachios that Ron brought also. I loved the hot onion garlic and will order some this week.

Here is that link. They have all kinds of cool flavors.

http://www.santabarbarapistachios.com/

Jeff_in_KC said:
:eek: :shock:

Ummm... I just don't know what to say in response to this so I'll let it go! :lol:

Just having fun with brother Mista. It really is some great hot sauce. Next time I get to Grand Caymen, I need to pick up a case of the stuff.

The rum was pretty good as well. Great story behind the name. Supposedly true all the way.

Bigmista said:
You mean you couldn't convince Cliff Claven to make some of those awesome beans?
OMFG Neil, you are dead on with that one. ROTFLMAO

Bigdog said:
OMFG Neil, you are dead on with that one. ROTFLMAO

I'll agree with y'all that there's more than a slight resemblence in appearance, but the comparison stops there. Cliff was a bit of a pain in the ass. Bob is cooler than the other side of your pillow, a really great guy!!

I really like Bob. Enjoyed talking to him. Still almost called him Cliff a few times.

Back