Turning Wood Stove Into A Smoker

Beer BQ Breath

Found some matches.
Name or Nickame
Peeper
smoker2.jpg

This stove/fireplace was in our house when we purchased it. The wife didn't want to use it so we removed it and its been hanging around for a couple years now unused. I've decided to possibly resurrect it and turn it into a smoker by routing the vent pipe (6" hole out the top of stove) over to some type smokehouse. I've seen a few similar photos but would like some verbal feedback as well. Anybody got any similar experience? I've got questions such as length of pipe needed from stove to house, what to make smokehouse of (wood, old refrigerator, old grill, etc. The stove has adjustable air flow but I'm thinking I'm going to need a damper inline with the stack, a diffuser inside the house, possibly water pan on top of diffuser, some type vent on the house itself, etc. Any experiences or suggestions are appreciated!

I had a similar set up once. I had a 6ft stainless pipe with a 45 degree angle made. that went from the stove to the bottom of an elevated a 55 gal. drum. The Drum had a water pan about 1/2 way up and the grill was about 10" below the lid. worked great. nothing but hot smoke ever got to the meat. Damper was not needed. Did not worry about temps. It was done when it was done.

If you look at my avatar you will see that I did use one for smoking. This was a wood burning cast iron parlor stove. I cut two holes in the top and directed smoke and heat to a copper water heater tank I had laying around for years. Worked fine. We moved a year ago and I had to abandon it for being too heavy and and too big to fit in the new place. I got a 6" X 3' aluminum pipe for the exhaust. Quite a contraption and lots of work.

Back