Thread: Wtf?
View Single Post
Old 08-26-2013, 09:07 AM   #1
smokinrack
On the road to being a farker

Default Wtf?

Did a comp this weekend, believe there was 32 teams and I have to say Im a little confused as to what exactly was going on.Last comp we did we took fourth place with ribs and third in chicken.This time we got 1st in chicken but only beat 4 other teams in ribs with the exact same flavor and what I thought was better tenderness.

Then it got even more confusing as we turned in everything on time, and were relaxing after turn in.One of the other teams members came over and asked if we knew what was going at the judging tent.Apparently 20 minutes after pork turn in they went by the tent to ask a question of the lady running the thing and all the rib boxes were still sitting there and the pork boxes hadnt been touched yet, the ribs had been turned in almost an hour before that and hadnt been tasted yet

Dont know if it was the fact the food sat there that long or if it was the judges themselves, and Im not even claiming I didnt deserve the scores I got but after awards we got the score sheets and it was the most brutal scoring I have ever seen.Not just me but all the way acrossed the board for almost every team there was so many 4s, 5s, and 6s, I couldnt count them all.After the event talking to some of the other cooks the next morning I found I wasnt the only one who was amazed at how many low scores were given and apparently wasnt the only one who was aware of the delay in the food getting to the judges.This wasnt a sanctioned event but I recognized many of the judges as KCBS judges from other events.Im not even sure what to think, did my food suck, was the turn in a disorganized mess and everyones scores suffered as a result, were these judges just that hard on everyone.Even winning in chicken we took that with several 6s on our score sheet so you can imagine how low everyone else scored and I know there was some damn good BBQ in that crowd.

Sorry, Ill my rant now
smokinrack is offline   Reply With Quote