• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Individual cut beef short ribs. Recommendations?

nsantole

Found some matches.
Reaction score
I am doing some beef short ribs and have only done them a few times. came out ok both times but I know they can be better tenderness wise. any suggestions on cooking method? temp, wrap? dont wrap? I will be using a WSM

I did some in the PK360 a while back. I cooked at 250 and put them in a covered pan once they got to the color that I liked and cooked until tender. It’s been a while but it think it was about a 4-5 hour total cook.

I am doing some beef short ribs and have only done them a few times. came out ok both times but I know they can be better tenderness wise. any suggestions on cooking method? temp, wrap? dont wrap? I will be using a WSM

What do you mean by individual cut?

Flanken? English? Just the plate cut into individual bones (one long rib)

Last edited:
Assuming full plate cut into individual long slices, I smoke them 250-275 for 5-6 hours. I like to wrap in butcher paper most of the time.

I've also not wrapped and mopped with brisket style sauce towards end, those were some of the better ones I did. Sadly, I don't remember the mop, but it was largely cider vinegar, paprika, cayenne, s&p, and cumin

I did some in the PK360 a while back. I cooked at 250 and put them in a covered pan once they got to the color that I liked and cooked until tender. It’s been a while but it think it was about a 4-5 hour total cook.

This :clap2:

they are plate bones cut into individual ribs.

I like the idea of smoking until nice color and wrapping. I think last time I didn't wrap them and they may have dried out some.

I actually prefer to smoke them individually...it allows for more surface area for bark and for better rendering in my experience. I just rub them like usual and smoke them 5-7 hours at 275. Might foil them for an hour or so at the end but it depends on timing. They usually turn out pretty darn tender.

anything go in the foil wrap or pan when the time comes?

usually with my brisket I do a little beef broth and I was thinking about treating the beef ribs the same.

usually with my brisket I do a little beef broth and I was thinking about treating the beef ribs the same.

I've only wrapped with butcher paper and turned out tender and moist

Treating it like brisket would work

I'll usually give it a couple of sprays of the beef spritz I use, which is just a highly variable mixture of beer,louisiana hot sauce, and a dash of canola oil. Spray it a couple of times before closing the foil wrap.

Nope. It has plenty of its own juices. You may prefer to layer on more flavor though...

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Back