Flying with meat

ncmoose

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Anyone with any experience appreciated. I'm flying to see my son (and new grandson) in a few weeks and thought about bringing some q. Nothing crazy, maybe a smoked flat. About 6 hours with the layover. It seems as long as there is no liquid (solid ice with no melt, which seems impractical) the airline is ok with it. I thought about a frozen solid piece of meat in a small soft side cooler as a carry on. Do you think this would last ok and any considerations/roadblocks with security you'd anticipate?

My sister and brother-in-law used to take meat from their ranch from Tucson Az. to London England with no issues. Key is make sure the meat is froze solid, packed tight little to no air space, pack the bottom and sides of the suit case with lots of newspapers to create an insulated cooler then once meat is packed in cover the top with lots of newspapers. The key is to use a lot of newspaper and leave no open airspace.

First Moose, Congratulations!

Now, Why do you need to transport your done and frozen Que. Everything you could possibly need will be there to make Great Fresh Que.
Namely, YOU will be there.
You can gather up whatever you need on that end and make it fresh.
Everything you could possibly need would be right there.
It won't be in your luggage. It won't be in a box. It won't be in your carry-on, or stuffed within your socks.
Nope, no scanner can detect it. Nor wand take it away.
No matter where you go to, it's there inside you to stay.

There is no speriance like experience.

Besides, maybe you could hand off your ways to good BBQ to the new Dad, Grandpa! :wink:

That's a great thought, Sonny. But I'm not sure the boy even has a grill yet (just moved into their house a few months ago.)

Maybe I'll have to remedy that.:wink:

I would certainly think so. (Remedy a situation...)
I think there are many starter options to consider.
You know, just to get his hands dirty....
And his hair and clothes smelling of smoke.
He's a Dad! Time to smell like one, don't you think?

I found that if I smelled like smoke, the diaper pail was more tolerable. (Yep. I go back to cloth diapers days.) :laugh:

Call it a late Fathers Day present, or a house warming present. Something the 3 of you could go pick out.
Doesn't have to be fancy. Just basics.

I see a real bonding opportunity here. (Forever the optimist...) :rolleyes:

I sent my sister home with two 1-pound slabs of home-cured bacon, vacuum sealed and frozen solid. Wrapped in a couple of dish towels. Six hour flight ATL to SAN, it was still frozen when she got home.

Go for it.

I would check with the airline / TSA for carry on. I have shipped fish several times as checked baggage no problem

I have flown on American Airlines with 5 pounds of fresh sausage, which was vac-sealed and frozen. I have also returned and brought bags for fresh shrimp and gator meat, also vac-sealed and frozen. TSA doesn't seem to care, they question what it is, but move on. The only time I have ever had an issue is when I tried to bring Black Forest Ham back with me from Germany. Germany didn't have a problem, it was US Customs that argued that it was a raw pork product. I went over the issue of processing and smoking, but soon realized that any efforts to explain would be feudal. I'm sure he had some great ham steaks for dinner or breakfast.

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security...s/cooked-meat-seafood-and-vegetable-no-liquid

But above all else, try calling the airline to see what their policy is. Liquid like sauces should go in stowed luggage, not carry-on.

Last edited:
I have traveled with meat and seafood many times. Check the TSA.gov website as guidance changes from time to time. All (domestic) airlines follow their rules. You need to be knowledgeable, because often the TSA agents and airline personnel are not. I have had several instances where I had to ask for a supervisor, all of which said “He’s correct and knows what he’s talking about.”

Basics:
- Items must be sealed and frozen solid with no discernible liquid.
- Thick, soft sided coolers work well when packed to eliminate airspace.
- You can check, but not carry on, dry ice. You must declare it. Last time I flew the limit was 5 lbs. it is helpful to save your receipt as proof of the amount.
- If you have dry ice, the cooler must be vented. This can be as simple as a small opening in the zipper.

Good luck,

David

From TSA Website
https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security...s/cooked-meat-seafood-and-vegetable-no-liquid

Cooked Meat, Seafood and Vegetable (No Liquid)

Carry On Bags: Yes
Checked Bags: Yes

You may transport this item in carry-on or checked bags. For items you wish to carry on, you should check with the airline to ensure that the item will fit in the overhead bin or underneath the seat of the airplane.

TSA officers may instruct travelers to separate items from carry-on bags such as foods, powders, and any materials that can clutter bags and obstruct clear images on the X-ray machine. Travelers are encouraged to organize their carry-on bags and keep them uncluttered to ease the screening process and keep the lines moving.

For more prohibited items, please go to the 'What Can I Bring?' page.

Frozen Food
Meat, seafood, vegetables and other non-liquid food items are permitted in both carry-on and checked bags. If the food is packed with ice or ice packs in a cooler or other container, the ice or ice packs must be completely frozen when brought through screening. If the ice or ice packs are partially melted and have any liquid at the bottom of the container, they will not be permitted.

NOTE: The final decision rests with the TSA officer on whether an item is allowed through the checkpoint.

Last edited:
What about UPS/FedEx overnight?
A little more $$, but a lot less hassle.
I "import" smoked fish a from Green Bay a couple times per year. Cost is minimal, compared to the fish.

I flew with 2 whole cooked briskets a few months ago. I flew southwest and loaded the cooler with frozen water bottles in zip lock bags. Filled the extra space with towels and taped the cooler shut. TSA went thru the cooler, it had a note in it when it arrived that it had been inspected but the meat was still cold and the ice bottles didn't leak.

So last year we flew back from Hawaii with about 40 pounds of Ahi in our carryon. We froze it completely. it took a bit to get the right information but you can bring dry ice through security and on carryon. I want to say that the limit is 5.5lbs of dry ice per person, and no if you have a party of 8 it cannot be 44lbs in one cooler.

So yes it works, we had a last minute switcheroo because there was a service pet on our flight and cant have CO2 in the overhead with the dog on board, so they put our carryon in the main luggage container below. To avoid issues plan for this scenario and make sure that the container can be sealed effectively after TSA does there business.

Oh and Congrats

I have brought Kauai Grass-fed beef home frozen, with ice packs to keep it that way for 6 hours+. No problems with TSA.

I have no idea what goes on there anymore. But here in Europe it's expected to carry meat and cheese on a vacation. I think if you don't carry some food you will arouse suspicion ;)

I fly for business occasionally and I have taken up to 10 kilos of sliced meats and block cheese in my suitcase and I have never seen any packages opened. The only time I'm aware that they searched my luggage was when I had a metal train in there for one of my kids.

watched a show about customs at JFK airport, they are VERY serious about fresh meats, fruits and other foods brought INTO this country. It was amazing to see the stuff people try to bring in. It all gets confiscated, ground and run into the sewer system..Domestically you shouldn't have any problems when following the rules....but I second having Amazon or someone sending some kind of grill ahead and making something together....

Back