Treat Chuck roast like brisket?

Here is what I do:

Smoke at 275-325 for ~3 hours. When the IT hits ~140, wrap in a pan with a can of beef broth. Cook ~ 3 more hours to an IT of 210+. It will be fork tender at this point where you can pull it like pulled pork. Take off pit and rest it. Pour all of the juice in a fat separator. Then pull the chuck roast for pulled beef sandwiches. Pour the separated juices over the pulled beef.

Make Horseradish Cream Sauce. Beaver brand is excellent.
Mix a 4 oz bottle of Beaver Brand Deli Horseradish Sauce with 8 oz of mayo.

Make some caramelized onions.

Put pulled beef, bbq sauce of your choice, horseradish sauce, and caramelized onions on a bun.

Excellent.
This sounds really good. Might do this today.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I don't even break out a thermometer when cooking a chuck for tacos or pulled beef bbq.

In the smoker at around 300 degrees for 1.5 hours, flip and rotate, cook for another 1.5 hours then pan with beef broth and cover.

At this point I usually toss it in the oven at 275 degrees and check it after an hour or so. When it pulls apart easily with two forks, it's done.

Chucks are all different. Sometimes after panning they're done in an hour, sometimes 1.5, sometimes over two.

I always start early just to be safe. You can hold it for hours if you need to, can't hardly hurt a chuck.

I tried to cook the pulled beef at our last Texas bash, but I did not get the roast done enough to pull properly. Will fix that problem next time.

I just finished one today, smoked on BGE until IT of 165, then foiled and finished in a 325 deg oven, this took almost 3 hrs. I put mine in a foil pan with peppers, onion and beer, the internal temp was 211 before I was able to easily pull it apart with forks.

Thanks everyone! Turned out great. The church folks liked it. The video of the cook should be posted on my channel by now (link below in my signature). Here are a couple pics!

Back