• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

What is the proper temperature for holding food?

What is the correct temperature for holding food in a steamtable or chaffing dish?

• 120*

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 140*

Votes: 12 75.0%
  • 165*

Votes: 4 25.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
great onfo

You don't have to "toss" after 4 hrs, The 4 hr. rule is if its on "display", countertop...etc...no heating...and it should always have a time stamp...

This rule is in Hawaii...

Just went to a sanitation class...
The biggest cause of food born illness is "IMPROPER COOLING"...the recomended time frame is:

140*-70* 2hrs
70*-45* 2 hrs...I believe 40* is the USDA guideline...
this is some great reading. i think I've spent several hours reading and feel a lot more educated now...thanks to all of you g]for the great information!!!1

ServSafe says" 140°-70° in 2hrs 70°-45° in 2 hrs. It's not 6 hours, its 4 hours total or the bacteria starts to produce toxins into the meat. I pull the bones and pull them in half to cool faster. Briskets I cut the flat away to make it thinner to cool faster. If you use a good cooler and pack with towels to take up any space left in the cooler, you will not have to put back on the heat after only 2 hrs.

Actually what ServSafe says for proper cooling is to first cool from 135 to 70 within two hours, then cool to 41 or lower in the next 4 hours. "Cool TCS food from 135 to 41 or lower within six hours" I just took the course and this information can be found in chapter 8, page 17 (8-17) of the 5th edition.

Bacteria and other harmful organisms need time, food and moisture (or wetness) to grow, but they do not grow well when the temperature of the food is colder than 41° F (7°C) or hotter than 135°F (60°C). The temperatures between 41°F and 135°F are in the. Keep potentially hazardous foods out of them. For example, when food is left out in the bacteria can grow fast, and make toxins that can make your customers and family very sick.

Back