Post thanksgiving question.

realspaazz

Take a breath!
Reaction score
So, I love to do a smoked turkey on the WSM and always do one in the oven too. The oven bird is always stuffed. My wife loves stuffing, I love stuffing, dressing (stuffing cooked in a pan) just doesn’t cut it. Has anyone had good success smoking a stuffed turkey?? Any tips or tricks???? Thanks

I dont stuff my smoked birds but I do use stock made from the pan drippings and liquid from the bird cavity. it's a reasonable compromise. as great as it looks and serves for presentation separating things just results in better doneness. in only one step away from separating the bird into white and dark meat halfs as it is for the same reason.

sorry doesn't address your question but does give you a flavorful stuffing (dressing)

I prefer to cook my dressing in a pan, however I will buy extra turkey wings or chicken wings in a pinch and place them on top of the dressing so they render their fat/juices into the dressing. Works in the oven or smoker

An un-stuffed whole turkey is hard enough to cook, having it stuffed might make it harder. I do the same thing that BillN does, add some chicken wings or the neck atop a pan of dressing.

When I make my 'poor boy'chicken crown roast, I still cook the dressing in a pan, but add it to the center for serving.

3IPcFkw.jpg

Q5001Tl.jpg

I do 2 birds every year for thanksgiving. Typically for x-mas also.
I did not take any photo's this year, like many years.
I just add time to the stuff bird. Start earlier say 40 mins on average) when smoking 2 birds. One stuffed, one not.
Couple examples

Attachments

• turkeys (3).jpg
    turkeys (3).jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 188
  • turkey 11 24 16 (1).jpg
    turkey 11 24 16 (1).jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 187
  • turkey 11 24 16 (2).jpg
    turkey 11 24 16 (2).jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 190
  • turkey 2.jpg
    turkey 2.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 188
Do it... and let us know how it turns out!

Sure looks like other folks have it nailed...

My brother made the Malcom Reed recipe and it turned out awesome. That stuffing was really good.

https://howtobbqright.com/2019/11/14/stuffed-smoked-turkey/

I still prefer dressing in a pan, but Malcom followed recommendations for stuffing, namely cooking the sausage first, and using veggies that add moistness. I would have done a longer air dry time, and a nice twist to buying "bread cubes", is to buy "crutons", there are many flavors to choose from and they take stuffing/dressing to a different level.

Back