You two are funny! I messed with it and now it's at 300. I'm trying to drop it some now. Yep, I'm acting like a rookie today chasin temos. All on a cooker designed not to monitor Temps :tsk:

It'll all work out

Sometimes we just can't help ourselves.

You two are funny! I messed with it and now it's at 300. I'm trying to drop it some now. Yep, I'm acting like a rookie today chasin temos. All on a cooker designed not to monitor Temps :tsk:

It'll all work out

Don't touch it!:becky:

I'm OCD too but I leave the PBC alone and let it to its thing.

I wanna see SGH's mod... he can dial in temps on his. (hope i'm not stirring the pot):p

Seriously though that's only part of it...a different philosophy on how to manage the fire would help all y'all. JMO. Don't be afraid to experiment on how to better your pit. :-D

My excuse, first 3 rib cook and first party cook. Just trying to make everything perfect. Even if it is family. Tasted one if the chefs snack tips i trimmed off.....yum!

Well folks it's not been a great day. I smelled something funny which made me think a rack may have fallen. I checked and was right.....how embarrassing! I went to get it out and hit the other two and boom. They fell too. Obviously they were done! I pulled them out and only the one rack that fell first had a burned spot. Really not that bad. I'm gonna slice'm up and we'll be eating soon. I guess the weight of full spares needs to be watched closer. On the bright side they still taste great. Probably slightly overdone but oh well. I'm sure my family will like "falling off the bone" ribs :becky:

Attachments

• 20150523_144633.jpg
    20150523_144633.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 460
No worries you just took them past where you should have. Might wanna try the half hang thing on some and see how that goes...plus just probe for tenderness at certain times.

FWIW in the future when/if you try my new way of doing ribs they're guaranteed not to fall off of anything. It's pretty cool imo.

They look mighty fine from where I'm sitting. Will gladly take them off of your hands :thumb:

Good advice. They finished faster than I thought too. Even with Temps low at first (245) then settling in at about 280. They were done in 3 and a half hours. Full spares!

Oh I forgot to mention. When I reached in to grab the ribs temp probe went down my glove and burned the cap outta my wrist!

Looks like they'll eat just fine!

Sounds like the barrel got too hot to me, live and learn - we all do.

You guys are all too nice! Thanks for the kind words. I'd call them slightly over cooked but they were darn good! Pulled pork reheated nicely and everyone really liked everything.

Attachments

• 20150523_151944.jpg
    20150523_151944.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 449
  • 20150523_152201.jpg
    20150523_152201.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 448
They look good! Doing my first cook now, they have been on for almost 2 hours.

Question, how long on average, do the coals last?

At current rate, mine will be good for 4 - 5 hours total.

You guys are all too nice! Thanks for the kind words. I'd call them slightly over cooked but they were darn good! Pulled pork reheated nicely and everyone really liked everything.

Glad to hear they tasted good and they sure do look tasty .I will let you in on a secret if you promise not to tell anyone.I've dropped a rack or two in the fire and actually they have been as good as any others I've made. Was fortunate to get them out quickly. If you are making 4 or fewer racks it's not a bad idea to cut them in half.

They look good! Doing my first cook now, they have been on for almost 2 hours.

Question, how long on average, do the coals last?

At current rate, mine will be good for 4 - 5 hours total.

Full basket I'd say 8 hours

Glad to hear they tasted good and they sure do look tasty .I will let you in on a secret if you promise not to tell anyone.I've dropped a rack or two in the fire and actually they have been as good as any others I've made. Was fortunate to get them out quickly. If you are making 4 or fewer racks it's not a bad idea to cut them in half.

Thanks Bob! I got them out very quickly too!

I'm doing a pork butt and its been on for 6 hours a 40 minutes.its wrapped and sitting at about 166. seem to have plenty of coals left. Will keep you posted.

Unless you're peeking a lot expect at least 6 hours.

Edit - 6 hours before temps start to drop, it should stay at 250 or higher for 8 hours.

Last edited:
Back