• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Brisket wrap test: foil vs butcher paper

As always, fantastic video! And as a fellow MAK owner, I completely agree with your assessment re: the smoke profile produced by a MAK... it's no joke... clean, pleasant and very present :)

As always, fantastic video! And as a fellow MAK owner, I completely agree with your assessment re: the smoke profile produced by a MAK... it's no joke... clean, pleasant and very present :)

Now that would a great tagline for a smoker!

Everything looks incredible. Thanks for you time. But a serious question. When you opened the smoker it had so much whiterish (sp?) smoke. Do pellet smokers do this normally?

Yep. Well, at least all the ones I've had do. Tastes great though. I have a theory that thin blue is something that is more important on stick burners because there is so much wood rolling through there over the course of a cook that the food can get very acrid if you don't keep it clean. It's not as much of an issue on other types of cookers. At least that's been my experience.

All pellet grills do this and usually people complain about a lack of (or light) smoke flavor. (The MAK is actually great about this though...one of the things I like most about it.)

Great video! I usually hate watching streaming videos, but I've really enjoyed all the ones you've posted on here. Great information and fun to watch. I laugh, I learn, I even share the links. Please keep it up.

Great video! I usually hate watching streaming videos, but I've really enjoyed all the ones you've posted on here. Great information and fun to watch. I laugh, I learn, I even share the links. Please keep it up.

Thanks man! I really appreciate the complement!

Getting very technical here, but which picture profile are you using on the 80D? I couldn't tell the difference in either briskets. Did you shoot it flat and color grade it?

Getting very technical here, but which picture profile are you using on the 80D? I couldn't tell the difference in either briskets. Did you shoot it flat and color grade it?

No, the only coloring I did on that shot was a minor exposure correction. They were very similar looking. There was a slight texture difference and the flavor difference was a little more noticeable. My wife agreed with Troy that the foil looked more mahogany so it must have been true but I had a really hard time seeing the difference in color. You could see the texture difference though. The paper bark was dryer/harder.

No lie, both were amazing. I preferred the paper but more than anything it kinda showed either way makes awesome brisket. I would have been curious what the difference would have been had we pulled the foil off about 15 minutes sooner and let the bark set for about 30 minutes after the foil was off it. Maybe a future video. lol.

where did you find them?

Great job on the video! :clap2: New to the DFW area and wanted to ask about your Wagyu cook. Where did you get your packers and how much were they? Was there really that much difference in the taste between the Wagyu and a prime?

Thanks!

Great job on the video! :clap2: New to the DFW area and wanted to ask about your Wagyu cook. Where did you get your packers and how much were they? Was there really that much difference in the taste between the Wagyu and a prime?

Thanks!

I got them at Hircshe's in Plano and they were on sale ($6.99 pp, I believe). I don't think they were that much better than prime. In fact, the briskets in this video I think turned out better. That's not to say they were bad, but I probably wouldn't buy them again for flavor as long as I have access to prime grade for a reasonable price.

However, one thing I noticed on the Wagyu was there was almost no waste at all and with these primes, I not only cut off (I'm guessing) 30% and throwing it away--which factors into the price--but I'm spending an 30-45 minutes doing it on 2 briskets. Just something to think about.

Kiss

This SPG&O brisket was cooked on a stick burner with hickory, hot and fast @300. Wrapped in BP at @165 Got a smoke ring, juicy, lighter bark as hot and clean all wood fire entire cook.

Funny thing is it tasted like Smoked Beef.

Last edited:
This SPG&O brisket was cooked on a stick burner with hickory, hot and fast @300. Wrapped in BP at @165 Got a smoke ring, juicy, lighter bark as hot and clean all wood fire entire cook.

Funny thing is it tasted like Smoked Beef.

Nice texture on the bark. I’ve noticed those that trim off too much get a leathery appearance on their bark.

Back