Marinading Briskets

Q

Que'inKC

How many of you do this? I've cooked them plain (only rub), I've injected them and 2 weeks ago I marinaded it one...

I purchased a nice size flat from Sam's and marinaded it in some Wickers Steak marinade (soy based) overnight and then rubbed it with some Heffer Dust...Probably the best Brisket I've ever done...it had an amazing beefy flavor and was very moist...

I'll definitely marinade again!!!

By the pic you have posted, I am not sure I believe you. :twisted::wink:

I have not marinaded a brisket but I am sure it could add some flavor to the party. I pretty much always cook mine like I am doing a comp (got to practie you know) so at a comp I would not have time after the meat inspection to let the marinade sit long enough to have an effect.

I wonder if you used the same marinade and injected if it would speed up the process enough to get a good flavor and such in a shorter amount of time.

I have not marinaded a brisket but I am sure it could add some flavor to the party. I pretty much always cook mine like I am doing a comp (got to practie you know) so at a comp I would not have time after the meat inspection to let the marinade sit long enough to have an effect.

I wonder if you used the same marinade and injected if it would speed up the process enough to get a good flavor and such in a shorter amount of time.

That's very true...I'm assuming you could use the Wickers for an injection as well...You might have to thin it down a little, it's pretty strong...

I cooked one two weeks ago and used the Dr. Pepper marinade. Came out very good, I am looking forward to doing it that way again.

Icemn - When you did the Dr. Pepper thingy, did you tenderize it first or just let it soak? Also, how long did you marinade it?

Que'in KC - is the Wickers a dark marinade? If so, then it'll leave dark streaks in the meat when you inject. Don't ask how I know this:icon_blush:.

Que'in KC - is the Wickers a dark marinade? If so, then it'll leave dark streaks in the meat when you inject.

There are ways around this ... If you inject really slow and allow the injection to seep away from the needle rather than a strong forceful injection you will reduce the appearance of staining. In reality, you do not reduce the staining, just the occurrence of the unsightly blotches that you would normally see at the tip of the needle or along the holes in the needle.

The dialamatic works really well for this as you can fully insert it in the meat, put the injector/dialamatic it at the lowest setting, give it a squeeze and do something else for a minute. Then come back, slide the injector out slightly and give it another small dose.

You can do this with those little medical shot style injectors but you need to manually control how much you put in at once. I once saw a guy with 7 or 8 of these sticking out of one butt and he would give each of them a slight push and then go do something for 5 minutes and then come back and repeat.

It also has the side benefit of helping absorption. The guy above had very little leaking into his pan.

OK, that makes sense, I think. Seeing as I usually have gallons :rolleyes: of liquid leaking out into the pan, this might help. Thanx,

What's a marinaded brisket look like?

I shouldn't have to ask! LOL

How much penetration do you get when you marinade? I had always thought marinading a brisket was of little value because of a lack of penetration.

Mean -- aren't those dialamatics like $50/each? Having 7 or 8 of them sounds like an expensive proposition.

I use the dialamatic and yes they are approaching 50$. I have to go slow and move/refill/move/refill.

The guy I was referring to had many of those el cheapo injectors that come with the off the shelf injections.

Back