View Single Post
Old 12-31-2005, 02:00 PM   #1
RichardF
is One Chatty Farker

Default temperature control/length of smoke break-thru

Last night I finally had a temperature control/length of smoke break-thru, as the result of adding various modifications to my Bandera over the weekend.

First I installed my Chris/Jalapeno fabricated baffle, which was perfectly fabricated. Boy was I surprised when I opened the box to find not only the baffle, but instructions with color pictures depicting installation. I tore out my BYE'd (backyard engineered) baffle made from a disposable aluminum pan and in no time (thanks to the instructions) installed the new baffle.

Next I unpacked my Spicewine charcoal basket. I think the basket has more thermal mass then the Bandera. I'm sure the delivery man wasn't too happy when he had to carry the box up to my garage. After playing with several different ways to insert the basket into the firebox, without busting a knuckle, I finally figured it out. I set the two dividers so that the basket was segmented into thirds, and added Kingsford, filling each chamber.

Next I hooked-up my BBQ GURU, and used the GURU golf club fire-starter in the chamber closest to the smoker to get some coals going.

Ambient temperature at start of smoke (10:00PM) was about 50F. Temperature at 4:00AM was approximately 35F.

The first thing I noticed was how quickly the smoker came up to temp (225F). Typically it can take an hour +. With the new setup it was a little over 1/2 hour. Over the next two hours, the temperature never fluctuated more than the minimum reading accuracy of the Guru thermostat. At that point I went to sleep, but set up the baby monitor so that I would know when the temperature started to drop. I didn't add additional coal at that point because I wanted to see how long I could hold temperature on one full coal basket. Typically, with a BYE'd coal basket and the Guru I'd get 2 to 3 hours @ 225F per full coal basket.

The temp alarm went off at 4:00 AM, a full six hours of untended smoking and temperature control on one coal basket. I was amazed. After reviewing my setup, I realized that I hadn't properly seated the dividers in the basket, and that allowed for premature ignition of the second and third coal cells. After refilling and fixing the dividers I got 8 hours +, of at temp controlled, unattended burn from a full coal basket. I think this may be a life-changing event. Now just don't tell my wife that I don't have to watch the smoker.

I hope this may be of help to others - Have a Smokin' New Year's - Richard
RichardF is offline   Reply With Quote