Brisket anatomy 101

S

Stevesonfire!

Since I finished my smoker this past winter, I've cooked a hand full of briskets....some good, some well,,,,not so much.
While I'm honing my skills though, I'd like for someone to post a pic of a brisket and explain to me what is considered the "flat" and "point". I think I know, but not sure.
I've noticed that the thick end has a layer of fat about half way through it and the other end seems to be,,,,,well flat. But what is considered the "point"?:noidea:

The point is the end of the brisket where it is a little narrower. There should be a section of fat that is between the two. The point and the flat sit on each other towards that end separated by the fat between the two. Only on a whole packer brisket. You should be able to tell because the grain goes different ways.

=Saiko;1323948]Bigabyte posted a nice little tutorial on brisket 101 a while back:
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57882

Wow! That is a great tutorial from Bigabyte!! Thanks a ton. As stated in the tutorial, I have found that keeping tabs on the meat temp is an exercise in futility. A brisket is done when its done.
I think it was maybe my second brisket...(not a packer) I thought since it was smaller, it wouldn't take as long to cook :doh: Could've resoled my boots with the thing. It went back on for a couple of more hours and was edible then, but by that time all my company had left.

I love this smoking thing! :thumb:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back