The BIG BUTT experiment test: *** 5 Hours and complete.....SUCCESS!***

I did a 400-425 range cook once for fun and the butt took about 4hrs and turned out great. I did foil it so will be interesting to see how it goes without if you don't. Lots of bark I'd guess :p. Hopefully not burn
I would guess i averaged 425* and it went 5 hours but foil definitely speeds things up. I did crank it up to about 550* the last half hour to finish things off.

I like the sneaky peek...
LOL, it wasn't easy getting that one, I had to shine a light in and then snap the pic.

That looks good!

You're lucky that the cook didn't go over 6 hours. You wouldn't be able to edit the thread title any more :becky:

Holy chit!!! It looks like a nice smoke ring too!
Yea just because it was a H&F cook didn't have an effect on the smoke ring.... plenty of wood and it was a pretty clean burn. That side to side burn method works awesome.

That looks good!

You're lucky that the cook didn't go over 6 hours. You wouldn't be able to edit the thread title any more :becky:
LOL, I figured it was coming up to the point of blocking that out!
Congrats on a great cook.

Thanks, still not 100% positive I'd try it without a safety net though...maybe after the 4 butts in a few weeks.

Hot and fast butt success.....now that meat looks good. Down in Lockhart Texas at Kreuz market they say they cook a 15 butt in 4.5 hours. I can testify that is good.

Very nicely done! I fired up my jimmy today for chicken and CSRs. Quick little cook at 375-400. It's a great cooker. Can't wait to see 4 butts hanging.

Hot and fast butt success.....now that meat looks good. Down in Lockhart Texas at Kreuz market they say they cook a 15 butt in 4.5 hours. I can testify that is good.
Wow that's sure fast. I imagine they wrap

Very nicely done! I fired up my jimmy today for chicken and CSRs. Quick little cook at 375-400. It's a great cooker. Can't wait to see 4 butts hanging.
Thanks Pj! It's such a good cooker, it's just now i'm trying to really expand it's capabilities.

It's amazing how you can change temp almost on a dime. At 4 1/2 hours i wanted to crank it up from 400* and just fully opened the bottom sear vent handle i put on and it was at 550* in minutes.

I'll definitely take pics of the big cook...probably post the next day because it's gonna be super hectic. I'm going from cooking the butts to reloading the fuel and doing 5 chickens. Then i'm cooking 25 ears of corn and hotdogs on another cooker. lol

Very nice Keith!
Will your diffuser be able to handle all that grease without a fire happening? 4 butts then birds

Back