Photos of thin blue smoke

I don’t wait for TBS to put meat on as it can be hours into a cook before TBS when running charcoal. Just wait for the Smoke to thin out and temp to settle in -can still be white/grey and heavier than all these pics. When adding a new log/split to a stickburner it will white smoke for a few minutes then clear up.

So thats one of the many reasons i LOVE bbq brethren. Within just 1 day of my original post this thread has now become probably the most comprehensive collection of photos of thin blue smoke anywhere on the internet. What a great resource for people to refer to as they learn the ropes. Thanks to everyone that contributed!

For posterity I should mention that thin blue smoke is not 100 pct of a cook. These are just snapshots of a point in time. In reality there will be times of thin blue and sometimes the smoke may be heavier than thin blue

For posterity I should mention that thin blue smoke is not 100 pct of a cook. These are just snapshots of a point in time. In reality there will be times of thin blue and sometimes the smoke may be heavier than thin blue

Point taken but much of the time the smoke is almost clear as well. By preheating the next split a little away from the fire, I can get almost instant ignition and only an insignificant amount of white smoke will flow through the cook chamber (assuming I am using well seasoned wood). It's hard to put an accurate percentage on it but I'd say my cooks are running thin blue or clear smoke over 98% of the time.

Nothin but sweet red embers makin this smoke.

Sooooo, I feel like I need some more information about whats going on here. more pictures of this and whats cooking on that. This is the type of thing I think I need more of in my life.

Tiernan SOB with internal firebox. Hickory Chunks today

Last edited:
16Adams......it is February....where in the Sam he#%! did you hide all of the snow?

16Adams......it is February....where in the Sam he#%! did you hide all of the snow?

Me at 3pm this afternoon

Last edited:
dgs0og.jpg

etv5av.jpg

Last edited:
Back