Runaway pit temps

RacrX

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I've had two cooks using the Kingsford Proefssional briquettes, and both times I've had trouble controlling the temp. Haven't had this happen before with any other type of charcoal. Has this been anyone else's experience?

Supposed to be at 235, just hit 311 with the intake and exhaust both closed down to about 30%!

Never had any issues with Kcomp and when it comes to Kingsford that's all I use.

What cooker are you using and how is it set up?

Never had any issues with Kcomp and when it comes to Kingsford that's all I use.

What cooker are you using and how is it set up?

I have a large LSG vertical cabinet, running a Guru. I've run the charcoal in a snake using the T-plates and now along the perimeter using fire brick.

Closed down to about 20% on the Guru, ball valve and exhaust now (more like 15% on the exhaust) and it hit 338. Seems to be holding there or very slowly dropping.

Last edited:
You have to have air coming in for combustion. If you have all your vents closed and your still running to high of a temp, after it settles down, you have an big air leak somewhere.

You have to have air coming in for combustion. If you have all your vents closed and your still running to high of a temp, after it settles down, you have an big air leak somewhere.

I thought the same thing, but wouldn't I see smoke leaking during the cook?

I doubt it's an air leak since you haven't had issues in the past. Maybe you had a few briqs combust at one time which spiked the temps. Since it's insulated temps will come down pretty slow.

It's definitely coming down although very slowly, which I'd expect.

I may have found a contributor to the problem though, upon closer inspection of the fire box door I see the latch (right) side is sticking out about 1/8" more than the hinge side and may need adjusting. It would explain why I don't see a smoke leak as it's likely rising up instead of sideways or slightly down through the door.

Thinking I may have to narrow the path of the charcoal as well and pile it a little higher, right now it's more low and wide which seems to be giving a lot of surface area to the burn. Any opinions on this?

Man, my BBQ mojo is off today!

It's definitely coming down although very slowly, which I'd expect.

I may have found a contributor to the problem though, upon closer inspection of the fire box door I see the latch (right) side is sticking out about 1/8" more than the hinge side and may need adjusting. It would explain why I don't see a smoke leak as it's likely rising up instead of sideways or slightly down through the door.

Thinking I may have to narrow the path of the charcoal as well and pile it a little higher, right now it's more low and wide which seems to be giving a lot of surface area to the burn. Any opinions on this?

Man, my BBQ mojo is off today!
I don't have an lsg but I like to run my mazes taller and narrower vs wide. It allows me to have less burning and the intake can stay a little more open.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Back