More recent inquiry about Charcoal Briquettes

Lowe's carries Royal Oak Classic briqs, and they are on sale right now for $3.99 for a 15.4 lb bag. I like these a lot for the price.

016800294211.jpg

We use B&B briquettes . Also try B&B Charlogs they work really good and last for a while

Weber is hands down the best, sadly it’s nowhere around here anymore.

I get Royal Oak lump at Walmart always at a good price. The stores around here sell the Made in USA lump. I've heard their imported lump isn't as good.

My God
Who knew I would get this many responses????!!!!

I did like Stubbs......
A LOT.
It burned hot and was very efficient but came to the party late since I only was able to sequester a few bags before they stopped distributing them (Cowboy and Stubbs are different Co)

Informally it seems that B&B is the most popular choice but.....
having a bit of a time finding briquettes. B&B has a bunch of Lump styles but not finding the briquettes I'm looking for.

Here is another thread w/a robust discussion about Cowboy which is more LUMP coal (many of the folks on the above thread are stronger for Royal Oak (lump)

I DO mix briquettes and lump at times but I find that I have better temp control with the briquettes when I do smoke (Minion Meth) so that's why I am trying to get a reliable source of briquette that isn't mostly filler (Kingsford) and has me cleaning mounds of ash out of my grill twice a month.

Keep the responses coming......

My apologies. I meant Royal Oak All Natural. That is what you get by relying on an alcohol diminished brain.

i halve 1 bag of stubs i got this time last year when lowes sold the last of it 4.00per bag royal oak has a pat. shape they make all kinds of carcoal brikets krogers,wynndixie,wallmart,home depot ect.ect. look for the design cowboy makes a real nice bricket there is also frontier

My apologies. I meant Royal Oak All Natural. .

I have used several types of RO briqs. The Natural is my favorite. The Premium briqs actually suck in my opinion. I can't believe that RO has lowered their standards that much just to sell in WalMart...

Royal Oak All Natural from Walmart is probably my favorite now that Weber/Stubbs can no longer be sourced. It is supposedly the exact same as Chefs Select.

I like the Royal Oak that comes in the double pack of Red White Blue bags at Walmart as well. I use it mainly for day to day cooking. I use the All Natural for comps and comp practice.

The only place I have found B&B Briquettes is Academy. They carry a nice line of B&B products down this way.

Royal Oak All Natural from Walmart is probably my favorite now that Weber/Stubbs can no longer be sourced. It is supposedly the exact same as Chefs Select.

I like the Royal Oak that comes in the double pack of Red White Blue bags at Walmart as well. I use it mainly for day to day cooking.
I use the All Natural for comps and comp practice.

As long as you don't try to reuse the coals...

The only place I have found B&B Briquettes is Academy. They carry a nice line of B&B products down this way.

If you have Ace Hardware nearby, you should be able to get just about anything B&B makes. They can order it for you if it’s not in stock - I spent about 45 seconds in the store picking up 4 bags of briquettes last time, even got help carrying it to my car to make it in one trip.

Another vote for Weber as being the briq with no equal. It's not even close, imo.

When I need high heat for a few hours on the 26, I dump a lit chimney of it into the SNS (1.0) and I'm all set.

I still have a few bags from the big clearance sale a couple of years ago. Was that Target?

+1 on Royal Oak Chef's Select, buy online, ship to Do-It-Best stores. I agree the Weber briqs are awesome, but expensive and hard to find.

Right now I'm using the Weber ones I got on clearance last year at Lowe's but I usually use KBB. I ran out of all that I had stockpiled and will have to get some more when it goes on sale.

Back