• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Tips, Tricks, and Cooking Hacks...

Swine Spectator

is Blowin Smoke!

Batch Image
Reaction score
Ok Brethren,

I have been thinking about starting this for a while. How about a thread to share those little things you do that makes your life easier? Those tips, tricks, shortcuts, and general hacks that make other folks say, "Damn, I should have thought of that!" :doh:

All tips welcome... :thumb:

I'll start. I like to foil my sheet pans for easy clean-up.

Start with a clean pan

picture.php

Lay a sheet of foil over the top

picture.php

Take a second pan and press down as a mold. Roll the sides tight.

picture.php

Remove the pan

picture.php

After running brisket juice through the fat separator I pour the juice in ice cube trays and freeze them. Add a cube to chopped brisket before vac packing, use a cube in chili or anywhere you would use beef broth, lots of uses.

- I sometimes save bacon grease coated paper towels to light my charcoal chimney.

- When cooking seafood dishes, I substitute anchovies for salt.

- I add bay leaves to the pot when I make rice.

- I learned how to bake rice in foil pans when I need large batches. (A 2 1/2" deep half pan holds 5 cups of rice. Pour 10 cups of boiling water over stir gently. Cover with foil and bake for 20 min at 350°.)

I'm probably about to blow your mind... even Cowgirl and the other Louisiana Brethren.

Are you ready????

When making Roux - make extra and save it in a palette. I start with 9 cups flour and 9 cups fat. A cupcake pan is about 6 oz, which fills a 12 cupcake pan just right:

Make a blonde roux for your seafood dishes:
picture.php

Then a medium roux for your chicken and sausage:
picture.php

Now get dark for chicken and andouille & extra dark for duck and game:
picture.php

Now freeze the pan and remove the "cupcakes" and save them in ziplocks for later.

So, never seen pics of this much on the Brethren, but when I'm adding some smoke to a lump charcoal grill (Weber Performer), I just put pruned fruit tree sticks directly on the grill over the lump and close the lid. You get nice smoke before you run a reverse sear... indeed the sticks just turn to charcoal and then you burn them up later for the sear.

No need for a separate smoke box etc. Just bung it on.

Oats.

Everyone knows they should eat more but oats sure do get boring and can even be disgusting if you use the wrong oats or overcook them.

Alton Brown's recipe:

Use regular rolled oats or quick/fast cook steel cut oats, AKA Irish oats. I normally use McCann's steel cut oats. NO instant or quick/fast cook rolled oats. Regular steel cut take forever.
Substitute buttermilk for 1/2 of the liquid. Cook per directions but don't overcook or you'll wind up with the building products mom cooked or the stuff you get with the instant variety.

That's the basics for better oats.

This morning I added a knob of butter, a splash of vanilla, some cinnamon, and some raisins for a truly deluxe version.

Back