Temp control/blue smoke control on new stick burner

You might want to get a V-shaped basket for the flat firebox if you are getting a basket - like the one LSG sell.

I live by the approach that you give the amount of fuel the smoker wants. Truth is it might not be the same every time because of uncontrollable variables such as the weather, baro, wind, humidity, etc... This is the beauty of a offset smoker. The guys who do not want to wrangle fire management buy pellets,gas grills,etc......

You have a nice smoker so the amount of fuel should be in the same ballpark, but don't worry if you may need more/less fuel each cook for your desired temp range. It might be different.

You will find that many here don't use "store" charcoal, I did years ago, now I just use all wood and as Smitty stated use the older hot wood(red coal) as a bed of coals for the new splits that I add throughout the cook. I never warm splits or pre heat them. I just dont overlaod the firebox with fuel.

I try to control my temp by the amount of wood vs just intake or exhaust. I leave the exhaust and intake open usually. I find the more wood I add, the more I have to leave the door open or intake. So I start slow and add wood as needed. Its a balancing act that you learn. Sounds like you had more fuel than you needed at that time.

You will have to just learn what your smoker likes.

Last edited:
Check out the Oklahoma Joe's Charcoal basket $30-40 on the web (sold at certain local sporting goods stores too) 12x12x7 quick fix for not alot of money. Add your Charcoal base, bring to temp, add splits as needed.

I don't recall mention of how seasoned your wood is.

Bang two sticks together. They should feel light for their size and sound something like two baseball bats clanking together. If they feel heavy and the sound is a dull thud they are too green.

If you have a Harbor Freight nearby you could get a moisture meter and take a reading. Split a stick and take the reading in the middle of the stick on the newly split surface. You want the reading to be no more than 20% and preferable ~15%.

I don't recall mention of how seasoned your wood is.

Bang two sticks together. They should feel light for their size and sound something like two baseball bats clanking together. If they feel heavy and the sound is a dull thud they are too green.

If you have a Harbor Freight nearby you could get a moisture meter and take a reading. Split a stick and take the reading in the middle of the stick on the newly split surface. You want the reading to be no more than 20% and preferable ~15%.

I live in the Philippines. I can get a cheap moisture meter here too. I think I will spend some time and split my splits and lay them out in the hot sun for a few days.

Thanks

Low and slow is the biggest lie in Bbq. Atleast round these parts….

i would size the splits down thinner in half and a Kindling Cracker will be your best friend and your fire will burn a lot cleaner .

Bark is fine, I would never go through the trouble to remove, I use hickory shag bark often when grilling due to the great flavor it gives food.

Back