MAK Group Buy

Looking like LJ for me too. Lowe’s has pit boss & Weber but they want $16 for 20#. Rural king has LJ on sale for 8.88 for 20#. I can get pit boss @ Menards for $15.99 for a 40# bag. Don’t know anything about pit boss???

Last edited:
Looking like LJ for me too. Lowe’s has pit boss & Weber but they want $16 for 20#. Rural king has LJ on sale for 8.88 for 20#. I can get pit boss @ Menards for $15.99 for a 40# bag. Don’t know anything about pit boss???

Between those 2 choices, I’d definitely go w/ LJ. If I try LJ again, I will go with one of their blends vs a single wood type which is all I have tried. Seems most of the guys that rave about LJ are using a blend. At least those I have talked with. LJ really is a very reputable and well loved brand.

Yeah. I’m going to give the char hickory a try. Supposed to get hot. & the competition blend. The nearest bear mountain is over an hour away. I don’t think the drive would be worth it.

Between those 2 choices, I’d definitely go w/ LJ. If I try LJ again, I will go with one of their blends vs a single wood type which is all I have tried. Seems most of the guys that rave about LJ are using a blend. At least those I have talked with. LJ really is a very reputable and well loved brand.

I got the competition blend. Once my MAK gets here I'll give some thoughts on them. This will be my first pellet experience, so won't have anything to compare.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I purchased Bear Mountain pellets at the advice from Caleb. He said they really watch the moisture content of the pellets and they have had good luck with them.
The shipment didn't get here in time for my inaugural cook, so I purchased one bag of the comp blend from LJ locally. After a couple cooks with the Bear Mountain and LJ I'm really liking the Bear Mountain. To me, it smells like I'm using wood chunks, not pellets.

I purchased Bear Mountain pellets at the advice from Caleb. He said they really watch the moisture content of the pellets and they have had good luck with them.
The shipment didn't get here in time for my inaugural cook, so I purchased one bag of the comp blend from LJ locally. After a couple cooks with the Bear Mountain and LJ I'm really liking the Bear Mountain. To me, it smells like I'm using wood chunks, not pellets.

Some brand/types definitely can smell different. To me, they are ALL intoxicating... lol.

I noticed this as well. Bear Mountain smells the best and has the least ash of all pellets I've used.

Sort of regret not getting one especially since I have $1000 in gift cards I could have applied. I do have quite a few other things that I can spend the money on though and some of them should really be a priority so I held off. Congratulations to all who got in on this. I look forward to seeing your cooks and experiences with the Mak.

Have you smelled Cookin’ Pellets Perfect Mix? Oh my!!! :)

There's a Cookin Pellets dealer south of me an hour+, not far from Wooster, called and they told me $29 and change for a 40# bag of Perfect Mix. I'm guessing you have a high opinion of them.

I usually run LJ but cookin pellets are my favorite. For $30 they would be my go to.

There's a Cookin Pellets dealer south of me an hour+, not far from Wooster, called and they told me $29 and change for a 40# bag of Perfect Mix. I'm guessing you have a high opinion of them.

I love Cookin’ Pellets! You can get them cheaper if you buy 15 bags. $390 delivered to your door. Each bag comes in its own cardboard box. They store nice and neat if you have the room. Or perhaps you can find another pellet guy in your area that wants to go in on an order.

I missed it... Anyone mind PMing me what they paid for the 2* so I can sulk and drink my sorrows away?

I did. Spoke with Caleb. No chance of an extension.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Back