MAK Group Buy

Have a new Gateway Drum sitting in the garage the last 2 days right where my wife gets out of her car, hasn't said a thing about it yet. :shocked:

She knew I was getting another smoker but didn't know what it would be, maybe she'll notice it on Saturday morning when I season it and smoke me a Fatty. :heh:

You guys are loco... lol.

Have a new Gateway Drum sitting in the garage the last 2 days right where my wife gets out of her car, hasn't said a thing about it yet. :shocked:

She knew I was getting another smoker but didn't know what it would be, maybe she'll notice it on Saturday morning when I season it and smoke me a Fatty. :heh:

Just tell her it’s an oil drum. No biggie.

I’d love a MAK but the grate size for me is kind of an issue for me. Like Saturday I’ll be doing 100 or so hot dogs and links plus 10 pounds of rope sausage for a party. Hard to manage that.

I’d love a MAK but the grate size for me is kind of an issue for me. Like Saturday I’ll be doing 100 or so hot dogs and links plus 10 pounds of rope sausage for a party. Hard to manage that.
That's why you need 52 cookers. I have huge cookers (Shirley) and tiny (Red Box).

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

On a completely unrelated note...
Anyone care to buy a Copperhead or Pellet Pro? Asking for a friend.

I forgot to ask Mak a question. How do they handle grease in the 1 Star? All I can find is something about a grease drawer but no real details.

Paul before your friend sell those cookers he should test them head to head with the MAK you are getting, looking forward to your thoughts on the nee rig.

I forgot to ask Mak a question. How do they handle grease in the 1 Star? All I can find is something about a grease drawer but no real details.

MAK has a stainless internal grease drawer. The chute that the grease drips into also has a removal “wall” that makes for easy cleanup. Not sure if you are aware, but the MAK’s also have a removable firepot making the dumping of ash a 10 second job.

Here’s an exterior pic of the grease drawer:

cb4d69c4e37d9d608bfb8ae9c498cb4b.jpg

Ya’ll are a very bad influence.

I think I’ll give them a call just to make sure I can’t pass along on this...

I’ve been back and forth between Mak and Yoder. I’m gonna go out on a limb and say either will be very nice.

Yep! Just have enough smokers and they wouldn't notice. It's like us men staring at their shoe or purse collection. We'd have no clue what's new or old.:laugh:

Congrats on the Gateway Kevin. Looking forward.

That load of meat would be child’s play for the MAK 2 Star... easy peasy. With all grates in place on the 2 Star, you can fit a TON of low profile meats. You have over 1600 sq” to work with [emoji41]

Only upgrade I chose was wifi. Thought it would be nice to finally try that out. Anything else I might regret not getting? The cover looks like the size they sell everywhere and it's gonna be stored in a garage. Dust is the only worry there. The exterior shelves seem expensive. I'm gonna measure my harbor freight folding shelf to see if it will work. I don't need extra grates. If I need more room I have bigger cookers. I'm not gonna grill in it. Maybe the bottom shelf? How sturdy are the legs without the bracing the bottom shelf provides?

Only upgrade I chose was wifi. Thought it would be nice to finally try that out. Anything else I might regret not getting? The cover looks like the size they sell everywhere and it's gonna be stored in a garage. Dust is the only worry there. The exterior shelves seem expensive. I'm gonna measure my harbor freight folding shelf to see if it will work. I don't need extra grates. If I need more room I have bigger cookers. I'm not gonna grill in it. Maybe the bottom shelf? How sturdy are the legs without the bracing the bottom shelf provides?

This was my first MAK... a first gen 1 Star:

1e0559e7e9d1419a5459def2311415e0.jpg

I had most accessories. My most used were the full upper grate and the side shelf. If you’re never going to do a larger cook then perhaps you’ll be fine without the upper grate. As far as the side shelf, it’s obviously useful for setting stuff on, but it also balances the cooker out aesthetically AND seems to give covers (whether MAK or 3rd party) a better fit. As far as the bottom shelf, I didn’t use it, but I did like having it... lol. The 1 Star is stable with or without it, but of course a bottom shelf always adds a bit more rigidity :)

This was my first MAK... a first gen 1 Star:

1e0559e7e9d1419a5459def2311415e0.jpg

I had most accessories. My most used were the full upper grate and the side shelf. If you’re never going to do a larger cook then perhaps you’ll be fine without the upper grate. As far as the side shelf, it’s obviously useful for setting stuff on, but it also balances the cooker out aesthetically AND seems to give covers (whether MAK or 3rd party) a better fit. As far as the bottom shelf, I didn’t use it, but I did like having it... lol. The 1 Star is stable with or without it, but of course a bottom shelf always adds a bit more rigidity :)

Wow. She's a beauty!

I'm not gonna grill in it.
Like you I would not really use it for grilling. I wanted to be able to smoke. From sausage, jerky, fish and everything else. But I want another smoker that is able to smoke at 150*-170*. When required. I am able to do that on my smokers now. But sure would be easier with a pellet smoker.
Mak's site say's 200* is the lowest set temp. Reason I did not call this morning.
Not sure about their smoker box. The site needs updating. Some of the tabs do not link to actual info.
Again I have no actual experience with pellets. Only what I know from Ninja Steve and reading here.

Yep, it should bounce between 170-190° on Smoke. Of course the 2 Star has the cold smoke box which will provide you with significantly cooler temps than that.

I have the bottom shelf, full upper grate and Flame Zone, even though I really don't do much grilling on the MAK, the FZ helps the the grill come up to temp quicker and is more efficient using less pellets, it literally funnels the heat from the fire pot into the cook chamber. If you want to add something later the price for accessories includes free shipping.

As far as the legs, they're plenty sturdy the bottom shelf actually just lays on inserts, its not bolted or screwed in and it's a heavy duty shelf. There is no wobble or flex at all in the legs, after I put it together I had to drag it around the side yard to the back patio, the wheels don't like grass so when I say drag that's what I mean, they roll nice and smooth on the patio though.

Yep, it should bounce between 170-190° on Smoke. Of course the 2 Star has the cold smoke box which will provide you with significantly cooler temps than that.

Has anyone measured the temps in the cold smoke box when the grill is set to smoke?

Back