Frontier Hardwood Lump-Sam’s Club

16Adams

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
Taking one for the team. Trying new coals. I grade lump fairly easy. Burn good-Smell good no OTC in bag (otc=other than coals).
First time trying these coals. Lots of small pieces from top of bag. Had to try it. Started quickly with Rutland Squares. Initial aroma is fine. 20$ for 30# at Sam’s. Smalls work fine in The Ceramic Primo. Not so great in others cookers. Good enough for cooking chicken thighs 🔥🐓🔥

So far So Good
To be continued
Full disclosure-I don’t like lugging 30# bags, I’m a 8-15# bag Brethren

Last edited:
Never was much start up smoke. 45 minutes from lighting squares Primo is at 300* so added thighs. Not using any additional flavor wood. No chips, no chunks, no splits

Last edited:
Approximately 3 hours after starting coals Primo remains steady at 300f. Thighs are done. Wife is fixing some form of garden salad cucumbers/tomatoes/onion/fetta cheese/olives kind of looking forward to that.

Charcoal
Pros
Started quickly with two Rutland squares
Burned clean from startup-quick thin blue
No weird aroma or odor at any point-Smelled good
Burned steadily for time period observed
No OTC in initial pour

Negatives
Smaller pieces at initial opening-but they work
May be bigger deeper - will know eventually
Just me but I prefer to wrangle a smaller bag

Summary
It’s fine. Going to buy a couple more bags for cache.

Last edited:
Thank you for this - I saw that the other day and was debating but ended up with my 2 bag pack of Kingsford.

Interested in hearing what the bottom of the bag will look like.

Pretty close to home run. Let’s call it a bases loaded triple. Bite through skin on the thighs, Salad was perfect. Pleased with first cook of the coals. Looking forward to digging deeper Into Frontier Lump coals, in fact I’ll stay committed to using this lump until gone, regardless of Barrel-Ceramic-Steel or Offset. Good round 1

Last edited:
Do any of y’all remember the 10# bags of Ozark Oak? It had a distinct “Klink” when lit. It almost sounded like ice fracturing when dropping a cube in 3Fingers Of bourbon. This actually had that sound. Now Im not holding my breath that this 30# will perform like the 10# bags of Ozark Oak. But it’s a sound I hadn’t heard in a while. It was nice

Thanks for the review. Next time we’re at Sams I’ll be on the lookout. Just picked up 2 bags of Weber briquettes based on everyone’s reviews.

Oh I posted about those a while back. I liked the product. It was nice & dense. the QC on the chunks was also good. Very few small pieces. Good price. Would buy again, but they didn't have it when I went back :(

Oh I posted about those a while back. I liked the product. It was nice & dense. the QC on the chunks was also good. Very few small pieces. Good price. Would buy again, but they didn't have it when I went back :(

Any OTC in the bag you used?

Thanks for the review. Next time we’re at Sams I’ll be on the lookout. Just picked up 2 bags of Weber briquettes based on everyone’s reviews.

My advice is to go back and buy all you can. Even if you don't like them, you can probably use them to barter for other things to people that do like them. Harder to light, but burn for a long time.

Thanks,

Robert

Thanks for the review and the chicken looks awesome.

She’s going to make the salad again today using Vidalia onions. Picked up a dressing I’d never seen before.

Last edited:
Any OTC in the bag you used?

Whats OTC? Other than charcoal? Just strings. Didn't see rocks or anything like that. 100% better than the last bag of OC I opened.

Regardless here are a few pics

zqosTNwl.jpg

vQkz6b9l.jpg

PafbluYl.jpg

GEeY4pql.jpg

psju0qbl.jpg

Last edited:
Back