What to do with pork skin off of the picnic?

PigBeter

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I am smoking a 9lb picnic right now and took the skin off of the shoulder and put it on the smoker along side the shoulder. It has been smoking for almost 3 hours, but I am not sure what to do with the skin. I want some good eats out of it, but realize that it won't get crispy on the smoker.

Should I take it off the smoker and put it in a frying pan, and if so how long should I smoke and cook it for?

Jacob

Cool, do you think that will work even after smoking it for 3 hours?

I haven't tried it before after smoking for 3 hrs, but I dont see why it wouldnt. You would just get a slightly smokey chicaron. It is always worth a try!

Thanks, I'm gonna try it right now! I'll let you know how it turns out!

I am smoking a 9lb picnic right now and took the skin off of the shoulder and put it on the smoker along side the shoulder. It has been smoking for almost 3 hours, but I am not sure what to do with the skin. I want some good eats out of it, but realize that it won't get crispy on the smoker.

Should I take it off the smoker and put it in a frying pan, and if so how long should I smoke and cook it for?

Jacob

Next time leave the skin on the picnic, and thank me later. :thumb:

The picnic will cook much better (and juicier) with skin intact.

Next time leave the skin on the picnic, and thank me later. :thumb:

The picnic will cook much better (and juicier) with skin intact.

I prefer removing skin from picnic before cooking for more rub surface, and better bark to meat ratio. Call me nutz.

I did the fried smoked skin thing before and it was a real messy lesson. First off, it can be done but the skins tend to pop and splatter oil everywhere. Also the results are kinda hard, great if you love cracklings but not optimal. It's better to boil them a bit and then use the smoker to dry them out then fry them for that puffy pork rind consistency.

I prefer removing skin from picnic before cooking for more rub surface, and better bark to meat ratio. Call me nutz.

Ok Nutz. :becky:

I prefer the end product with the skin on, I value that over the loss of bark.

It's all good though !

Back