• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Thinking of buying a new vertical smoker any suggestions

jdbh

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Looking at a pitmaker vault or a backwoods not sure which one. If there is comparable smokers to these out there let me know and give me your thoughts on it any advice welcome

Last edited:
Which models are you looking at? Onyx oven, Stumps, are very good choices also.

Looking at a pitmaker vault or a backwoods not sure which one. If there is comparable smokers to these out there let me know and give me your thoughts on it any advice welcome

Kind of in the same boat. I've been looking at Pitmaker's Vault and safe, Backwoods Fatboy, Party, and competitor, Spicewine's medium smoker, and Stumps Baby and Prince.

i would like to cook 20 buts and 20 to 30 slabs of spares

I'm a big fan of the Backwoods. I'd say you're in the Competitor or bigger range if you need t cook 20 butts. I cooked 16 on my Fatboy, but the clearance between the cooking grates makes it tough.

Not a problem these days on my Pro Jr. :mrgreen:

Cheers,
Braddog

PS
I'm starting the timer now before somebody says UDS. :razz:

Pitmaker Vault...300-325 degrees all day long on a full load of charcoal...:becky: Smoke 'em in 6 hours and bank the coin! :thumb:

the pitmaker vault looks pretty impressive but i havent talked to any one who has one

I made the choice between a Pitmaker Safe and the Backwoods Fatboy. Chose the Fatboy because the Safe busted my budget with its base cost and shipping and its weight made it unwieldy to move. My choice was purely economic but i don't think you can go wrong either way.

Sorry for just getting back to you. Look at the Backwoods Piglet with 4 or 5 shelves. 4 shelves woudl be 6" apart and 5 would be 4.8" apart. Each shelf will hold 5 slabs of stl's and 6 pork butts. 4 would give you the capacity you need......5 would give additional capacity and a little more versatility. Piglet is a great size smoker too. Not too heavy..about 385lbs which is not bad for a smoker with that kind of capacity. Let me know if I can help you!!!!!

I made the choice between a Pitmaker Safe and the Backwoods Fatboy. Chose the Fatboy because the Safe busted my budget with its base cost and shipping and its weight made it unwieldy to move. My choice was purely economic but i don't think you can go wrong either way.

Headed to pick up your fatboy and custom stand from my metal guy! Gonna get it crated tomorrow and on the truck Wednesday!!!!

jdbh -

If you decide to go the Backwoods route...drop Andy (abangs) a line. I did and it was the smartest move I made throughout my process of selecting a smoker!

The Vault is going to be heavy. However, it's built with amazing craftsmanship. I have a Safe. If you have any additional questions, send me a message and I'll be happy to give you my thoughts.

i think im gonna call pitmaker this weekend and talk to them find out what kind of cook times you can get out of it and shipping cost, and im gonna do the same for backwoods.

Back