View Single Post
Old 07-17-2012, 12:17 PM   #1
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Hance
Default Getting snobbish about our BBQ

I've read many different threads over the years about how folks now know what truly good BBQ is and the techniques used to make and server quality Q and then get disgusted with others who boil ribs or cook crock-pot butts, or dont want to eat at restaurants any longer, etc.

I then read this today:

> I met a guy at a charity cook-off this year who, like me, was new to
> competing. He got a call and I did not. We hit it off and were loosely
> keeping in touch.
>
> Today I heard that he has been diagnosed with pancreatic cancer.
> Apparently it has spread and the docs are talking in terms of weeks.
>
> This guy is in his 40's with a family. I can't say we are really close,
> but we are definitely "brethren" in Q. For some reason this news has
> really hit me like a ton of bricks. It is what people mean when they
> say "Life is Short". It inspires me to try to accomplish those things I
> always said I would do. I hope you all will take it as the same.
>
> David
> The Swine Spectator

David made a friend rather than an enemy. They became "brethren".

I would suggest that you consider how short life is and whether arguing over this is better than that is worth making an enemy over making a friend.

BBQ, enjoy it, and embrace other's ideas even if you know they're wrong.

JMHO.
Was Lang 84DX, now Bubba Grills 250R and many Weber grills
Lake Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote

33 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from: --->
82's BBQ, 93vpmod, armor, BABYGOTBUTT, bbq.tom, Bbqin fool, bgross88, BillN, BlkBear07, bluetang, Blythewood BBQ'er, bnb bbq, bowhnter, Bpbolde, Brisketbloke, Brush Creek, BuffettFan, Bushay, CajunSmoker, Captain Porkard, CarolinaQue, cats49er, Cayman1, cgwaite, chambersuac, CharredApron, chefman316, coachop94, CookinScuba, Countryboyswagger, cowgirl, Crash, crimsonaudio, deguerre, Diesel Dave, DjPorkchop, DownHomeQue, Dr_KY, EdF, Fat Woody, fingerlickin', ForingersQ482, Frales, FreeDivr, FremontSmoke, frognot, FullPuku, Georgiaboy98, grillinguy247, Grousegrove, gsmith, gtr, HAdams, Happy Hapgood, Harbormaster, Hoss, IlliniQ, jacob, jeffh, jeffjenkins1, jiveturkey1, jonboy, Kanco Connection, Kathy's Smokin', LabradorQue, landarc, lcbateman3, LongIslandEd, lzbcook, MAP, martyleach, mikett, Minjin, MisterChrister, MJ_Tenn, mo_expat, Mrs B, mtbchip, mwilson6, N8man, NorthwestBBQ, nucornhusker, OneArlenBBQ, Packmanjim, PatAttack, Pit Barrel Cooker Co., Porcine Perfection, QansasjayhawQ, Redhot, RevZiLLa, rtg, Ruind, Rusty Kettle, Scottydont81, sdsrn, SlickRockStones, SMOKE FREAK, smoke ninja, Smokeat, smokeymeatsweats, Smokiemon, SmokinAussie, SmokinJohn, Smoothsmoke, SpecOpsBBQ, SteevieG, Stoke&Smoke, Subzerogriller, swampsmoker, Tatoosh, Tbern, thunderwagn, TinySmokin, tish, Tonybel, tonyjohnson619, traylorkenneth, TuscaloosaQ, V1VRV2, varekai, va_connoisseur, vw1914, Wrench_H, Yan can Cook, Zenchefal