• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

How long to keep frozen meat??

darthtrader

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I found a cryo boneless pork shoulder at the bottom of my garage freezer that I purchased from Costco in July of 2008. I can't believe all that time's passed already. Is this still safe for consumption or should I throw?

I have used meat that I vacuum packed myself that was older than that, and it was fine. I would say if there is no freezer burn and the meat has been frozen continuously it would be safe. Thaw it out and give it the smell test. If it smells good, I'd use it.

Chuck

The USDA fact sheet states that the times given relate to quality only. The meat, if it has been continuously frozen since purchase, will be safe to eat. It will not be as good, quality-wise as if it were fresh or frozen within the last three months. As cdollar says above, thaw it out and smell it. It should be fine.

You put the food in the freezer to preserve it.
And that is what happened....it has been preserved.
It is safe to eat. There is NO time limit on frozen foods.

The USDA says that frozen foods are safe to eat indefinitely.

If the food has some "freezer burn" ...it is still SAFE to eat.
It may (or may not) taste a little off. But; it is still SAFE to eat.

After being in the freezer for 5 or 10 or 20 years...the food
may (or may not) taste a little different than fresh; but it
is still SAFE to eat.

The frozen food charts that some people refer to are about QUALITY.
That means the food that has been frozen for a LONG time; may not
taste as good as fresh food from the store...but; it is still SAFE to eat.

That USDA page has some great information that cleared up a few myths in my head about freezing foods.

EDIT: thanks for posting the link, Cowgirl!

Last edited:
Thank you, Cowgirl. Very informative link! And thank you all for all the helpful comments. I'm having people over this weekend to celebrate the end of the rain here in SoCal and I'd hate to serve them anything sub-par. It's been at the very bottom of the chest freezer so I'm sure it hasn't been subjected to too much temperature differences for the past 17 months under all that other frozen meat. I didn't see any scratches in the cryo packaging and it didn't seem to have any freezer burn. I moved it to the kitchen refrigerator for a slow thaw until Friday night. If it passes the sniff test I'll pan fry a piece and give it a taste when it's fully defrosted in a couple days. It's only a $15 boneless shoulder, but I hate wasting food. Worse case scenario, friends will get mean portions of loinbacks. They're used to my cheapness by now anyway. :mrgreen:

Thank you, Cowgirl. Very informative link! And thank you all for all the helpful comments. I'm having people over this weekend to celebrate the end of the rain here in SoCal and I'd hate to serve them anything sub-par. It's been at the very bottom of the chest freezer so I'm sure it hasn't been subjected to too much temperature differences for the past 17 months under all that other frozen meat. I didn't see any scratches in the cryo packaging and it didn't seem to have any freezer burn. I moved it to the kitchen refrigerator for a slow thaw until Friday night. If it passes the sniff test I'll pan fry a piece and give it a taste when it's fully defrosted in a couple days. It's only a $15 boneless shoulder, but I hate wasting food. Worse case scenario, friends will get mean portions of loinbacks. They're used to my cheapness by now anyway. :mrgreen:

I'm sure it will be just fine. If after thawing, it's questionable...feed it to fido, he'll be a happy camper :)

Back