• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Lost a brisket and two butts.

YUP.. here's the thing with that! I would never in my life go to sleep and rest easy trying to cook over night..

That said.. Pellet cookers ain't gonna help you either.. because they can have their own problems too.. Flame outs are a thing.. can happen at any time.

My thoughts on the pellet smoker is that they come with electronics to control and alarm on. I got nothing on the master built but a controller that won’t hold within 25 degrees of where it should be.

Wow, that sucks. Sorry to hear that. This is also why I don't own any type of smoker that operates on electricity or has mechanical parts that can malfunction on an over night cook.

May your power went out briefly? Was the temperature reset or was it still set to the target temp? Or did you set the time wrong? My first thought was element burned out buy you said you had brought it to 275F after.

As others have said, Pellet wont give you any more peace of mind as you not only need electric, but also pellets can run out, or get stuck and not drop into the auger, the igniter could burn out, auger could go, blower could go...ect..ect Your best safely net is a ambient probe with an alarm.

I’ve been eyeballing a pellet burner for a while. Maybe this will push me over the edge. I have a kamado Joe with a flame boss but didn’t think both butts and the brisket would fit. I feel more comfortable with the electric overnight unattended than I do with the kamado anyway. At least I did before last night.

I have the same issue with my masterbuilt, I works great then for no reason it just turns off :mad2: I walked out to add wood chips about every 30 min and found it off twice in my last cook, then it stayed on for 5 hours with no problems, which is why i just ordered a "vault" from Kats BBq.

If your want a nice pellet you might look at "Smoke daddy Inc" my other smoker i had before i had to sell it when i moved was his pellet system that i attached to my old smoker. worked awesome but i didn't love the flavor from pellets, it burned so clean that there wasn't much flavor from the heat, but it did run very well, give them a look if you want a really nice unit that works very well

Happy BBQ days boys
HD9

I can't sleep with meat on the smoker, best I can do is naps between checking temps.

That said.. Pellet cookers ain't gonna help you either.. because they can have their own problems too.. Flame outs are a thing.. can happen at any time.

Flame outs on pellet cookers are rare IMHO. I haven´t had one in +4 years of using pellets. On a well maintained cooker, they are VERY rare.

Back