Tutorial—What are “Hatch” & “Pueblo” Green Chile

Peppers from Hatch or Pueblo, NM. Usually fairly large 4-7 inches or so. Mild, medium hot and hot. They are are great in pork stew, chili, whatever. I just ordered 5 lbs Friday.

I get mine here:

https://www.hatch-green-chile.com/

When they arrive, roast them on a gasser, bag and freeze.

When I lived in The Woodlands area north of Houston, HEB would have a big roaster outside this time of year for the peppers.

I should be in Pueblo in a couple weeks. Depending on what I find there I may order the Hatch “Charger” green chile from their website. I can get a Hatch varieties locally pretty much all month

Last edited:
When you roast/freeze at home, do you peel the skin off before freezing them or nah? I have a bag of Hatch’s I plan to roast today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Picked up 10 riper Hatch Green Chile. You pay more when you hand select, but you avoid scuds. Riper Green Chile have more color

Last edited:
When you roast/freeze at home, do you peel the skin off before freezing them or nah? I have a bag of Hatch’s I plan to roast today.

Either way. I think they retain some of the roasted flavors when you freeze with skin on.

We generally put the prep time in before freezing - peel, devein and deseed.
It's ready to use after thawing.
It will gain heat after freezing, especially if the frozen with the vein.

Quick work under broiler

Last edited:
Back