Biscuit dilemma

OutlawSwine

is one Smokin' Farker

Batch Image
Batch Image
My wife asked me to make biscuits to go with dinner this evening. I measured the flour into a bowl, added a little butter and went to get the shortening, but discovered we are out. I searched and searched, but could not find any. I did, however, find some cream cheese. Never heard of putting cream cheese in buttermilk biscuits, but figured what the heck. I used 2 cups of self rising flour, 2 tbsp butter, 1/4 c cream cheese and added 1 cup buttermilk after the previous ingredients were combined. Cooked at 425 for 10 minutes.

WOW. These were the best biscuits I have ever had in my life. Being a born and raised Southern boy, that's saying a lot. Very moist, but didn't have a cream cheese taste. The texture was absolutely perfect. Just the way a homemade buttermilk biscuit should be.

I would have taken pictures, but my wife and daughter finished them off with some peach jelly.

The next time any of you guys make biscuits, substitute some cream cheese for the shortening. IT MAKES A WORLD OF DIFFERENCE. It is now my go to biscuit recipe.

:shocked: :clap2: :thumb:

Why do I love this place? ^^^Stuff like that^^^

Thanks!

Ever hear of using Mayo in biscuits?

Mayo? Really? Never heard of it, but I never heard of adding cream cheese either. I've learned over the years to not knock something until I at least give it a shot. Does the mayo leave any flavor or is it more of a binding agent?

I have heard em called 1-2-3 biscuits....but I did a quickie google search and found this:
2 cups self-rising flour
1 cup milk
6 tablespoons mayonnaise
mix em up and bake at 400F for 12 minutes

No flavor unless you went all weird and used Miracle Whip salad dressing :sick:

Im guessing its just another form of fat...like the butter and shortening...or butter and cream cheese

Those do sound good Outlaw. Never made biscuits before. I think I'll try 'em out. So you cut the cream cheese into the dry, then add buttermilk? Do you mix well, or just enough to get the mixture wet?

Those do sound good Outlaw. Never made biscuits before. I think I'll try 'em out. So you cut the cream cheese into the dry, then add buttermilk? Do you mix well, or just enough to get the mixture wet?

Mix room temp butter and cream cheese into the flour (use a fork) until it combined and broken up into small pieces. Add the buttermilk and mix until it is just combined (will be a wet dough). Don't over mix or the biscuits will be tough. Less is better. Sprinkle a little flour on top of the dough and on the counter. Pour out the dough onto the floured counter. Sprinkle a little more flour on the dough. Roll out dough until it is about 1/2 in thick. Cut biscuits and bake.

If you try it, let me know how they turn out. Hopefully you will have good results.

i'm thinking that while you got the cream cheese out, if your making sausage gravy to go with them, you might as well throw some in there also!

I had a similar experience but with Heavy Cream

My wife came home from a trip and told me about a unelieveable biscuit she had at a rest. that only had flour and Heavy Cream. Did a little looking and if you use a soft/winter wheat flour like White Lily that the Heavy cream has enough fat to make a fantastic buscuit. Recipe I used was:

1 3/4 C. White Lily Self Rise flour
1C. Heavy Cream

They are fantastic!!!

My wife came home from a trip and told me about a unelieveable biscuit she had at a rest. that only had flour and Heavy Cream. Did a little looking and if you use a soft/winter wheat flour like White Lily that the Heavy cream has enough fat to make a fantastic buscuit. Recipe I used was:

1 3/4 C. White Lily Self Rise flour
1C. Heavy Cream

They are fantastic!!!

I only use White Lily. It's the best flour for baking (in my opinion).

Back