Question on Big Al/Spicewine Firebox usage

M

muledeer

This question is for anyone who uses the Big Al or Spicewine Firebox in a Bandera -- do you use any type of heat shield above the box -- either on the shelving or lining the lid.

I've constructed my version of the box -- but am not sure of the overall efficiency because I haven't tried it yet. I don't want to re-invent the wheel. I do have baffle mod and I will be firing the box up Saturday.

Any other recommendations on this firebox usage would be appreciated.

Thanks

Mule

You odnt need a heat shield(heat chute) with charcoal box any more than you would without it. It performs just like a regular fuel load, just with extended burn times. The heat shielf in the smoke chamber will reduce th amount of fuel you need by a little bit becase it makes the amount of space being heated. In the firebox, it will protect the top a little. Personally, i use neither. the heat shield in the smoke chmaber I used occasionally, but more to lower the temps above the shield for warming.

Its a preference. The heat shiled in the chamber is effective and has good uses. Experiment and tailor it to your needs.

I use the heat shield in the smoke chamber because I cook mostly small meat loads and it uses much less fuel.

***********scrubbed thread to get back on track. *********

I have a Spicewine basket and have tried the heat shield, didn't seem to make a huge difference. I mainly tried it in the last half of the burn to try and extend the burn/keep temps up. Give it a shot and see if it works for you. That's the beauty of this stuff....you experiment and find what works for you!! :mrgreen:

Back