Grill grates question

sudsandswine

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
I have a $50 credit to Big Poppa Smokers for winning the babyback throwdown. I have rubs and sauces literally spilling out of every cabinet, so I was looking for something else to buy.

Grillgrates are something I've always been a little skeptical about...making pretty little lines on my food doesnt interest me, I prefer a whole surface sear like I can get from cast iron grates on my Primo XL or a griddle. But flipping them over and using the flat side sounds interesting, as does the flare up prevention aspect. So, I'm willing to give them a shot...I was skeptical about the Vortex for a long time and now I love it so I'm willing to admit I may be wrong on Grillgrates.

There are two options on BPS - a single 10x13" grate with spatula for $50, which would basically be no cost to me, or a larger roundish setup intended for kettles and drums, roughly 20x16.5". That one would run $130 with spatula, so I'd be coming out of pocket some for that one. For those of you that use Grillgrates, would the single 10x13" grate be sufficient for most purposes, or would I be better off just biting the bullet and going with the bigger one? I would be using either one on a Weber kettle and possibly my Primo XL sometimes.

I have a large BGE, so its round. When I bought my grill grates they are a 3 piece set that overlaps and pretty much fills the round space within the BGE. The advantage to filling it out verses a rectangular single grate is spillage. When I do a bunch of vegetables like onions and peppers for a steak sandwich, the coverage of the 3 piece round keeps more of my veggies on the flat surface and fewer of them spilling in to the firey depths of the cooker.

I too don't care much for the pretty lines anymore on my steaks. That's why I bought the grates but I have outlived the lines. I now use my grates as a flat grilling surface and they are great for that. I can't advise you on the extra expense because everyone is different in terms of spending. But, I can say the grates that are made to fill out your circular space will keep more food on the surface and less to feed the flames.

I use my grates for my Large BGE and really like them They do a great sear They get about 150-200* hotter than the Egg grate They wont rust and I can use them on my Weber gasses too

I do not direct grill anything without GrillGrates. Get the set that will be of the most help to you. You will love them.

Go big! Didn’t use mine for the longest time when I got ‘em. Now I’m kicking myself for not using them earlier.

making pretty little lines on my food doesnt interest me, I prefer a whole surface sear like I can get from cast iron grates on my Primo XL or a griddle. But flipping them over and using the flat side sounds interesting, as does the flare up prevention aspect. So, I'm willing to give them a shot...

I think you totally nailed it here. I completely agree with you. These are the 2 best things about the Grill Grates for me.

Thanks everyone....I think I will go with the larger setup, it is over twice the real estate.

Nice! Excited to see how they work out. Got my set today, luckily my gasser and pellet grill have the same depth. Using them tomorrow

What's wrong with nice grill marks?!?

I actually cook on the griddle side as much or more than the ridged side.
I didn't know i needed them until I got them.
You'll be happy with them.

Last edited:
Because the meat in between the lines has little to no Maillard Reaction.

This is how like my steaks to look vvv

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190614-212522_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20190614-212522_Photos.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 204
  • Screenshot_20190614-212443_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20190614-212443_Photos.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 203
Last edited:
Tried them and aside from the grill marks and the increase in surface temp I found they are not for me. They inhibit some smoke flavor and dont get that charcoal/wood char I use as an ingredient. If you had a gas grill then you would be good to go.

I would cook more - use your rubs then buy more.

I probably have 20+ lbs of rubs and seasonings...no point buying more.

Wanna sell me your grill grates then? :becky:

I’ve been a long time lover of GG’s. I do probably 75% of my charcoal grilling on top of GG’s... sometimes flat side up, but more often rails up. I really love burgers and chicken on the rails because I can grill “semi-direct” over the fire the entire cook vs 2 zone. More time over the fire equals more flavor bombs dripping into the fire and coming right back up and seasoning my food. Love it! I also LOVE the ability to grill in a relaxed no flare-up manner. Oh yeah, and the way they even out heat is nice.

One more thing I’ve noticed about the flat side... is that because of the holes, you don’t really get grease puddling up like you do on a traditional griddle. I find 2 advantages to that... 1) Really good Maillard reaction 2) The drippings still hit the fire and produce the grilled flavor... something that does happen on a solid griddle.

Look at the crust on these burgers...
5400d0399a71d25807a74d324602ac45.jpg

Back