• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Shiny sauce

jimmypop

Reaction score
Im looking for a way to add a little shine or gloss to my sauce. :-D

The flavor profile is good but it has a dull appearance. Any suggestions?

I guess Im too new to these forums to be able to search yet because Im sure someone has already answered this in a previous thread. Not sure when that functionality opens up :confused:

Im looking for a way to add a little shine or gloss to my sauce. :-D

The flavor profile is good but it has a dull appearance. Any suggestions?

I guess Im too new to these forums to be able to search yet because Im sure someone has already answered this in a previous thread. Not sure when that functionality opens up :confused:

Just shine, no flavor change?

I've used liquid canning pectin with good results.

Don't know what's in your sauce, but consider switching from granulated sugars to honey or agave nectar....if your using granulated sugars.

Then again, the flavor would definitely change a bit.

Turtle wax? :D

No seriously, the easiest thing to do is replace some of your sugars with corn syrup. The stuff shines like wet plastic.

Its got brown sugar and turbinado sugar but didn't have any honey or agave nectar. I was hoping to leave the flavor alone but add shine, not sure that's possible. Sounds like I've got some experimenting ahead or me.

Never worked with pectin but corn syrup makes sense.

Thanks guys.

Turtle wax? :D

No seriously, the easiest thing to do is replace some of your sugars with corn syrup. The stuff shines like wet plastic.

I had a buddy suggest semi-gloss lacquer that he used on his kitchen cabinets. Not sure he understood what I was asking him :crazy:

Turtle wax is probably safer to eat :twisted:

I've heard on here somewhere that cornstarch or Arrowroot will give it shine. I wouldn't use too much or it might thicken.

Think of how shiny that General Tso's chicken was you ate last night.

Grape jelly....it doesn't change the flavor of the sauce as much as you might think it would.

Misting with apple juice gives a great sheen to any meat with or without sauce, after your sauce has set mist a couple times with apple juice.

Sunsweet pitted prunes. Old chili trick to add a gloss. There is debate whether to add at the beginning or end of the cook. I drop 1 or 2 in with about 30 mins left during my sauce simmer. Don't leave them in more than 45 minutes to an hour as they can pop. I can honestly say I notice a difference in the sheen.

Back