• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Need Road Trip Advice

sknabnoj

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Brethren,
My brother is moving from Phoenix to Chicago in June - I'm flying down to help him with the move and then drive his car up with him the 26 hours. We are huge BBQ geeks so, we'd love some suggestions along the way . I know there are probably a few "iconic" places along the way. Also - we don't discriminate, while we do love and want our fair share of BBQ along the way, we'd love some suggestions of other foodie stops along the way, even some cool attractions.

Some notable cities/towns we can drive through are:

Albuquerque - I'd assume there's a "must stop" Mexican place somewhere
Amarillo - any "iconic" Texas BBQ joints in this area?
Oklahoma City
Wichita
Kansas City - Again, another "iconic" BBQ stop here maybe?
St. Louis
Chicago - Obviously have a few things I'd like to try here, never been to Chicago before...

Thanks in advance - I'm super excited to be able to have some quality time with my brother, haven't seen him much with Med School the last several years - It'll be great to catch up and have a reason to start dieting again when I get back. :becky:

ABQ
- Barbacoa El Primo - FB Page - Gil's Gastronome Review (I trust these folks) - Google Maps

Do note that these guys are open 0700-1500L... We usually get the barbacoa "libra" - to-go... served with tortillas, veg, limes, and salsa. We usually sit out at their picnic tables in front and chow down... but it's do-able via tailgate or hood, as well.

Safe travels, no matter where you stop!

Can't recommend any BBQ in these places, but once you are to Chicago, hit a Portillo's for Chicago dogs and Italian Beef. Ambrosia.

Can't recommend any BBQ in these places, but once you are to Chicago, hit a Portillo's for Chicago dogs and Italian Beef. Ambrosia.

A big ol' sloppy Chicago Beef is definitely on my list!! Thanks for the recommendations!

I know all the hype about the Big Texan Steakhouse but when we were there it was a Great steak dinner. They know steak. In St. Louis Salt and smoke.

Just my .02. By the way, why would anyone want to move there?

Chicago is way way to cold for me but everybody I've known to live there loved the place.

I know all the hype about the Big Texan Steakhouse but when we were there it was a Great steak dinner. They know steak. In St. Louis Salt and smoke.

Just my .02. By the way, why would anyone want to move there?

We stop in Amarillo every year coming back from AZ. 1st year went to Big Texan..really disapointed us...more of a tourist trap. Then found Coyote Bluff Cafe. Hole in the wall ...tried the burgers...really good..tried the green chili..off the charts. They also have a steak which is highly regarded..but havent tried it yet. next time though.

For KC lots of choices..most are good. But lately I have been enjoying Big T's. I tend to like nostalgic places. And this one does not dissapoint...somewhat of a hole in the wall. Here's a story describing a few of the good ones. Scroll down to #6. BTW dont get fooled by Jones at #3.
https://www.kansascitymag.com/the-10-best-kansas-city-bbq-spots-we-ate-at-50-plus-spots-to-pick-em/

Big yes on Chicago Dogs and Italian Beef in Chi-town.

I'm no help.
Someone is actually moving ta Chicago?? On purpose??
I'm gobsmacked...

-D

I agree! He got into Northwestern though for his residency (top 10 program in the country) so, I think it's a short term pain for a long term gain in his eyes.

Oklahoma

If you jog over a bit to Elgin OK, Native Smoke is very good. Open Thursday and Friday, he cooks on a 1000 and 500 gallon Franklin style pits he made, and its the real deal.

I enjoy Tylers in Amarillo. Not the best bbq in Texas, but its great bbq made by fantastic people.

As for the Big Texan, its a tourist trap with decent steak, but I think it's worth a visit for the experience.

The Big Texan is an institution. I read about them in National Geographic in the 70s. Always dreamed of going there. Yes, it's a tourist trap, but what's wrong with tourist traps? I love tourist traps. It is Americana!

Anyway, there are so many routes you can go. If you head directly north out of Phoenix, one of my favorites is another tourist trap in Flagstaff called Black Bart's. The food is good, but the entertainment is some of the best. The waitstaff are primarily drama students at NAU and they perform song and dance routines during the meal. Nothing like having your waitress drop off your food and hop on stage to sing. Kitschy, maybe, but definitely a LOT of fun. If you're taking I10 east, then be sure to stop and see The Thing at Texas Canyon near Bisbee, Arizona. Another wonderful tourist trap. If you stay in Las Cruces, be sure to eat at the Double Eagle in Mesilla to get a feel for a luxurious old west restaurant. Sunday brunch is fabulous.

The Big Texan is an institution. I read about them in National Geographic in the 70s. Always dreamed of going there. Yes, it's a tourist trap, but what's wrong with tourist traps? I love tourist traps. It is Americana!

Anyway, there are so many routes you can go. If you head directly north out of Phoenix, one of my favorites is another tourist trap in Flagstaff called Black Bart's. The food is good, but the entertainment is some of the best. The waitstaff are primarily drama students at NAU and they perform song and dance routines during the meal. Nothing like having your waitress drop off your food and hop on stage to sing. Kitschy, maybe, but definitely a LOT of fun. If you're taking I10 east, then be sure to stop and see The Thing at Texas Canyon near Bisbee, Arizona. Another wonderful tourist trap. If you stay in Las Cruces, be sure to eat at the Double Eagle in Mesilla to get a feel for a luxurious old west restaurant. Sunday brunch is fabulous.

This is great! thanks a ton!

If you're traveling I-40, I suggest two NM food restaurants in ABQ:
Monica's El Portal on Rio Grande (the sopapilla's taste like donuts) or Azul's on 12th & Mountain (Carne Adovada, get the queso bowl).

I-10 route requires a side trip to either Iron Door BBQ in Silver City, or Sparky's in Hatch (Former state champ for green chile cheeseburger). Both are closed early in the week, may not fit your schedule

IH40 as you cross into Texas Exit 36 at Vega. In the NW corner sits an Allsups gas station convenience store. Ask the clerk if the burritos are fresh, gauge her/his response and if fresh grab a sack of Allsups Famous gas station burritos. Grab a bottle of their hot sauce both red and green. As well hit those burritos with mustard packets they provide. Take a selfie in front of the Allsups ad sign showing the five or six kinds of “burritos”. I go straight beef and bean, sometimes Hatch Green Chile which is Like thick green chile stew inside a fried burrito. Awesome. But that beef and bean has been in my life since 10 years old. Chimichanga is not the same as Beef & Bean burrito.. We’ve never had an issue with burritos

Amarillo- I would skip bbq and go to Coyote Bluff. South of IH40 on Grand. Burger from Hell (sounds way worse than it is) plate of green chile cheese fries and an appetizer of a cup of green chile stew.

Mexican food/ two chances to hit El Tejavan. IH40 and Paramount and IH40 and Grand. Both on north side of interstate. Order a side order of corn tortillas. They’re different than what comes with the meal. Excellent

Barbecue - I’ve tried the high rated and I don’t return much. Dyers BBQ at IH40 and Georgia is worth the stop for the onion rings. Seriously famous onion rings.

Whenever I have someone call passing through and inquires about bbq I recommend Rudys at IH40 and Western. 1/2 pound moist 1/2 pound lean brisket, sausage links half a loaf of bread included, onion pickle peppers open veggies bar, make a grand stacked sandwich and a giant Rice Krispy bar for dessert. Rudy’s also has a green chile stew made from their smoked pork that is probably the best I’ve ever tasted. It’s hot, too hot for wife, but we often buy a pint and use it as a starter for a larger pot.

Last edited:
Back