Temperature Probe storage

SmokyWoodturner

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
After a great weekend of cooking and testing my new Smoke(I'm gonna like it).
Does anyone have any good ideas on storing the probes. I wipe them clean and loosely coil them and wrap a couple of twist ties on opposite sides to keep them coiled but they still get tangled while stored.

..more twist ties?
I use a Smoke and a Maverick for backup and I keep each system in it's own gallon sized ziplock, I store the probes like you do inside those bags. My take is that unless they are tied up tight and not touching ANYTHING else..they're gonna tangle.

I've seen a post on here somewhere, they use a plastic tube, push the probe into it after coiling them up, a really good simple idea.

Gavin

I have a Maverick and keep the probes coiled in a ziplock bag. I don't really have any tangle problems.

Cause of two kids running around, I'm obsessive about safety. I got Rubbermaid hardened clear plastic containers that can't be stabbed through. I also like that if I space out and leave the unit outside in the Rubbermaid , it won't effect the electronics cause it's protected from rain, wind, dust

Thanks. The ziplocks might be the answer and I can keep the Maverick and Chefs Choice in separate ones. Thought I remembered something about tubes but couldn't find it.

I bought a $20 pluck pull case off ebay to store my probe and my Tappecue unit .

Ditto on the ziplock bag. I coil them into about a 6" loop and right into the bag. Been that way for several years.

yeah every time i went into my accessory drawer i would alway tangle with everything. Since i went to ziplock bags no issues. But one note, if you clean them after using them hang them over a door knob or something to dry first, then place in ziplock for storage.

yeah every time i went into my accessory drawer i would alway tangle with everything. Since i went to ziplock bags no issues. But one note, if you clean them after using them hang them over a door knob or something to dry first, then place in ziplock for storage.

I wipe them down with alcohol, coil them loosely with a twist tie, and hang them on the frig next to my Dot in a magnetic hook.

Just leave mine in the smoker until next cook

I store my Smoke rig in a Smith & Wesson pistol box. Works like it was made for it. I save all the boxes that my guns come in so I have several. ;)

Last edited:
I like this idea!

A spray nozzle from cleaning products such as window cleaner fits a bottle of rubbing alcohol. I spray some on a couple of squares of TP and wipe everything down. Just use a nozzle that seals to prevent evaporative loss.

I have a Pitmaster IQ120 and a couple of Mavericks. Like others said, I loop the wires loosely & use a twist tie. I then put them into ziplock bags. I bought a $10 toolbox at wallyworld. The IQ & Maverick units go in the bottom with the ziplock bags on top. The toolbox has a removable tray where I keep spare batteries, my Thermapen clone, grate clips & a few other accessories. When I'm ready to cook & just grab the toolbox & all my "tools" are right there.

I store my Smoke, in a Pelican box. Absolute overkill, but it works great, and looks cool. As far as the probes, I wrap the wire around 3 of my fingers, then secure with a twist tie. I have spares under the foam in the kid.

Matt

Back