Just noticed what I think is a little aluminum foil wrapped to keep the wings from sliding. Now why didn’t I think of that?

:noidea: :-D

I never usually use the foil "clip" unless whatever goes on the skewer is heavy. Wings, kabob chunks, yukon gold potatoes etc don't ever need it as they're relatively light and as they cook they stick. Russet potatoes, drumstick and the like are heavier so there is a risk of losing them so I clip. Just came up with the foil idea fairly recently when I was about to lose the big fatty on the second cook. I was like "think quick" and :idea: Foil!!!! Eureka!:becky: Works like a charm.

Started out at 250 for 50 minutes, to get start temp down use less coals in chimney at start up, and my custom vent lets me control intake a bit better, then I pulled them and sauced them, then put them back on at 325 for 20 minutes or so more, I open the chimney and lower vent a bit to raise the temp. Rub is home made, as is the sauce.

:noidea: :-D

I never usually use the foil "clip" unless whatever goes on the skewer is heavy. Wings, kabob chunks, yukon gold potatoes etc don't ever need it as they're relatively light and as they cook they stick. Russet potatoes, drumstick and the like are heavier so there is a risk of losing them so I clip. Just came up with the foil idea fairly recently when I was about to lose the big fatty on the second cook. I was like "think quick" and :idea: Foil!!!! Eureka!:becky: Works like a charm.

Great looking cook as usual, Sako! Another way to use hanging skewers that is a bit more secure is a combo of foil and metal binder clips. I had a few wings slide off before I started doing that but now I can cook a whole 20lb bag of Costco a wings and all turn out great!

Great looking cook as usual, Sako! Another way to use hanging skewers that is a bit more secure is a combo of foil and metal binder clips. I had a few wings slide off before I started doing that but now I can cook a whole 20lb bag of Costco a wings and all turn out great!

Thanks for the tip, D&D

turkey breast on PBC

Turkey breast smoking on the PBC. Cherry wood. Rubbed with Plowboys Fin & Feather. (don't have Yardbird right now). Cooker settled in at about 260, which is OK.

I just "discovered" the awesomeness of smoked turkey breast a few months ago. I always struggled with the whole bird, but the breast solo is a slam dunk.
eYJz8yel.jpg

TURKEY FAIL on the PBC

Man, this is my biggest fail so far on the PBC. I've had nothing but sweet success with PBC turkey breast, but this did not work out. Not sure exactly what happened. Smoking nicely at about 270 for most of the cook, cracked the lid at 145 IT, which took it up to about 350. Fine with me.

I was using my new Thermoworks Smoke and pulled when it read 162 (counting on carryover for a 7# breast). But actual temp a few minutes later was 167 on one side of breast and 178 (yes, 178!) on the other! :mad2::shock::doh: Huh?

So, obviously totally dry on that side, and frankly the other side was just OK. Very disappointing. I wish I could blame my tools, but I'm working with PBC and thermoworks, so it's me. Fooey.

Oh well, here's the final pic. Looks pretty on the outside, but don't be fooled
5RETfEdl.jpg

ok so my lovely wife just came home with a nice pork belly. she apparently wants me to cook up some pork belly burnt ends. I've never made them before but we have had them and she fell in love. I've looked at recipes online and they all pretty much say to run your smoker around 250 or lower to give the far enough time to render. I know the pbc runs hotter than that, so what are your recommendations to accomplish delicious pork belly burnt ends. just let it ride and not worry about it to much?

well guess I won't get to use my pbc tomorrow. I have a charcoal basket for a pbj, 14 inches that got packaged with mine. also did they stop including the rubs in the package? I didn't get those either

You sure it's s PBJ coal basket? The PBJ grill grate is only 14" so the coal basket is probably only 10-12" in diameter. The PBC coal basket is probably close to 14" in diameter.

Not sure about the rubs but if they were supposed to be included I'm sure they will get some to you.

Edit:. Just read on the PBC website that the coal basket for the PBC is 13.75" in diameter. So you have the right one.
https://www.pitbarrelcooker.com/product/coal-basket/

Last edited:
You sure it's s PBJ coal basket? The PBJ grill grate is only 14" so the coal basket is probably only 10-12" in diameter. The PBC coal basket is probably close to 14" in diameter.

Not sure about the rubs but if they were supposed to be included I'm sure they will get some to you.

Edit:. Just read on the PBC website that the coal basket for the PBC is 13.75" in diameter. So you have the right one.
https://www.pitbarrelcooker.com/product/coal-basket/

thanks, I feel dumb I didn't see the measured size. just seemed small lol

ok so my lovely wife just came home with a nice pork belly. she apparently wants me to cook up some pork belly burnt ends. I've never made them before but we have had them and she fell in love. I've looked at recipes online and they all pretty much say to run your smoker around 250 or lower to give the far enough time to render. I know the pbc runs hotter than that, so what are your recommendations to accomplish delicious pork belly burnt ends. just let it ride and not worry about it to much?

Sorry, can't help with lowering the barrel temp but I'm sure someone will have some tips to choke down the airflow. Do you have any kind of skewers for your barrel? I cube them, season, hang them for about 3 hours, then wrap in foil with some juice until tender, then sauce. They can be done on a grate too but they have to be turned at least once. Skewers are hands free.

x4p4m4J.jpg

oZ7mBWJ.jpg

xgkqFBR.jpg

Don't worry about it and put it on. I use skewers like thirdeye but you'd be fine w/out.

llDMD7vh.jpg

yWiaIKDh.jpg

Back