Ok, I am cross-eyed now from reading 141 pages of posts.

But the good news is I am picking up two barrels this week to build my first UDS. And I have a bunch of ideas after reading all those posts. Hope to submit pics of the build soon!!!

I have tried to read this thread from start to finish on several occasions and have yet to read all of it. Be sure your eyes are uncrossed before working on your UDS! :twisted: Good luck on your build! :p

I have tried to read this thread from start to finish on several occasions and have yet to read all of it. Be sure your eyes are uncrossed before working on your UDS! :twisted: Good luck on your build! :p
I did it but it took a whole weekend. My drum is very ugly too but makes some pretty food!!!

Plan on starting a double UDS building project

My Brother and I are starting a UDS build project over the holidays and could use any advice yall brothern could give, we think we got it down but there is always some better way of doing things, we plan on posting picture thru out the build.
Charlie :-D

Keep it simple brother. There is always a new way that may not be better than the simple design. Look forward to your build pics. Hve fun!!!

How many drums do you have? Build a basic one and cook on it while you experiment with your super drum. End of the day you will get the info here you need to be eatin good.

I've lost two days to this thread, but on a positive note I found a free drum. I just have to figure out the logistics of a 55ish gal drum vs. a tiny compact car. If anyone sees a little blue car with a big a$$ drum strapped to the roof, don't laugh. It's just me.

The christening

thanks to this forum i built my first uds and christened it friday night surrounded by several mega towbehind smokers disco balls, flat screens ,etc on smokers at a sporting event i took out the (trash can smoker) as it was called and proceeded to serve up the best bbq of the weekend hands down. i let those guys taste and they talked about the trash can all weekend expect more members very soon thanks for all the info guys im hooked.

I've lost two days to this thread, but on a positive note I found a free drum. I just have to figure out the logistics of a 55ish gal drum vs. a tiny compact car. If anyone sees a little blue car with a big a$$ drum strapped to the roof, don't laugh. It's just me.

My last drum came home in a Chrystler Neon. You can make it happen man.

thanks to this forum i built my first uds and christened it friday night surrounded by several mega towbehind smokers disco balls, flat screens ,etc on smokers at a sporting event i took out the (trash can smoker) as it was called and proceeded to serve up the best bbq of the weekend hands down. i let those guys taste and they talked about the trash can all weekend expect more members very soon thanks for all the info guys im hooked.

Top, ya might want to wander over the cattle call and introduce yourself if you haven't already and welcome!

well we where dropping off a load of alum <chips > to the metal recyclers and ask them if they had any drums one guy told us to go look around the corner we seen to stainless right away both not shiney lol like now anyway we ask the guy how much he told us go weight them we did and 40 bucks later we left with 2 stainless drums and a hand full of money from the chips ..lol we went back last week told him if he gets anymore to call us should be a looker this season at the cookoffs

That's a really good stroke of luck. My stainless drum was a little harder to fashion than carbon steel drums, but really not significantly more difficult. I would urge you to get some carbide drill bits though. If you want, I can send you my PowerPoint presentation on my stainless steel UDS build.

marks right good drill bits a must I work in a machine shop so we have good tools lol

Well after much bending of the Weber Lid and some banging with a rubber mallet, it appeared i had a fit.

Fired it up and there were quite a few leaks. Continued to work with the rubber mallet and pretty much got it sealed up. I threw some rib tips I had left over onto it and they came out really nice.

UDS held the temp very well as usual and I have to say with the Weber lid on it seemed to not cook as fast as with the flat lid. Did a Tri Tip over the weekend and it rocked.

Two questions for you veterans. Do I need any more exahaust holes for the weber kettle lid? It did not seem like I did, seemed to work great. But I do have 8 in the flat top.

I'm not sure that I need the Weber extension if I decide to go that route, but the seal on the lid might be even better. If I do, is it typically designed as a permanent fixture or to be removed?

Thanks in Advance and I'll remember to have the camera around next cook.

I run my weber daisy wheel wide open ith 1 1/2 to 1 1/4 of my 3/4" intakes open and have no issues what so ever. Infact if I stay with kingsford, I can leave the same setting( when I start a new smoke), once I dump in a full chimney and it will set at the same temperature.

While I know they are supposed to be ugly...

Is anyone using any paint other than "high heat"?

I've seen quite a few colors posted here but when I go to HD and Lowes, my choices are BBQ Black and BBQ Black.

Back